Material shortage

nod

Material shortages seem to be getting worse I rang TP for two packs of plaster and was told they only had one pack in and it would be two weeks before they got another delivery 

He also told me they are completely out of felt batons and scant 

2 minutes ago, nod said:

Material shortages seem to be getting worse I rang TP for two packs of plaster and was told they only had one pack in and it would be two weeks before they got another delivery 

He also told me they are completely out of felt batons and scant 

It is! Basic materials, Timber and construction Plant is like rocking Horse poo right across Europe, at the moment. We have suppliers (Plant) in Europe asking if they can buy machines back and we could fill the trucks with any building materials available.

Roof tiles are a big issue round here - 26-32 weeks for Marley’s so it’s hitting a lot of projects. Builder I know has had his stock confirmed for a roof he is doing in July and having it delivered this week to site so he doesn’t loose it. 

Locally Cemex had a drama - no cement! Cancelled loads of orders and running on a low output basis I think still. Was a company specific issue but not something I had anticipated as they also had the waterproof admix I needed to be used so not easy to swap over suppliers at short notice.

Other issue is insulation - have seen 2 sources saying price increases in May and in July amounting to about 15% on top of increases earlier in the year!

Getting tough in the build world

3 hours ago, Adam2 said:

Was a company specific issue

Apparebtly the Rugby plant ran very low. Had a delivery last week and they were saying they couldn’t get bulk cement for a few days. Bagged is in short supply too. 

11 hours ago, Adam2 said:

Locally Cemex had a drama - no cement! Cancelled loads of orders and running on a low output basis I think still. Was a company specific issue but not something I had anticipated as they also had the waterproof admix I needed to be used so not easy to swap over suppliers at short notice.

Other issue is insulation - have seen 2 sources saying price increases in May and in July amounting to about 15% on top of increases earlier in the year!

makes you wonder what will happen? Will it become too expensive to build?

I've mothballed my company so I can build my house but I’m thinking current increases have added thousands on an average loft conversion...not to mention on my build ?

11 hours ago, Adam2 said:

I thought it had already had 2 or 3 hikes this year already.

We agreed a fixed price contract at the start of last year. Builder has said that if he was pricing it now he would be adding 20% - 30% on to it due to materials and labour price increases.

my architect was telling me that his favorite facing brick used to be made by 2 companies in the home counties as most of his work is down there  --one has ceased trading

and the other now charges £1.23 per brick!!!-£30k a truck load 

and jewsons here in newton stewart are limiting cement to 5 bags per customer 

Edited by scottishjohn

On 28/04/2021 at 14:20, Marvin said:

Yes you are right. Just leaving the batten out in the rain can be bad, but, If you saw the colour of my hands you would know I treated it. ?

the treating of batons these days is a joke anyway --not treated all the way through anyway --so just apply a  couple of coats to cut edges  if your making your own 

I think when I know what I,m doing I will be looking for a good stone mason that can work with big lumps of granite --and just repair the walls and not replace them -could be cheaper and simpler than other solutions the way things are 

or go back to the first thought of ICF and crop the stone to clad it 

Edited by scottishjohn

just worked it out 

at 105bricks -with wasteage per sq M and if high priced facing at £1.23 per brick =£129.15 for bricks +the mortar 

makes using my on site stone look cheap 

cost to get it cropped to 100mm wide =£40 sq m- cheaper probably if I buy a cropper -then resell after the job

something else to think about 

Apparently  the shortage is due to HS2...

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/hs2-blamed-for-materials-shortages

Managing director Ian Anfield said: “Our clients are reporting serious shortages in construction products on the ground. In the West Midlands, some are saying their projects are now on 'tick over’ because materials are being creamed off by HS2.

3 hours ago, Temp said:

Apparently  the shortage is due to HS2...

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/hs2-blamed-for-materials-shortages

Managing director Ian Anfield said: “Our clients are reporting serious shortages in construction products on the ground. In the West Midlands, some are saying their projects are now on 'tick over’ because materials are being creamed off by HS2.

One of my client's projects in ireland is a 100,000m³ covered reservoir. When we were preparing the tender, one thing that we highlighted to the contractors was that the construction of the walls would require the equivalent of Ireland's entire concrete production capacity for a 4 week period!

• Confused 1