Waste pipes - Push Fit or Solvent?

Conor

Another waste plumbing noob question...

I've only ever used push fit in the past for small jobs, no issues.

I've a lot of branches in my design (40m of 40mm ) and quite a few bends, tees etc. Some of these are within the screed floor or suspended under concrete floor slabs. my instinct is telling me solvent join would be a better option so reduce chance of pipes pulling out of sockets?

Solvent where you can't access is what I did - it's so easy to use.  Just make sure you know that the pipes for push-fit and solvent are a different size.

Then where we have a sink or whatever it's standard McAlpine waste fittings which couples onto the solvent weld that's behind the wall.

• Like 1

The trick with solvent welding is to assemble the pipe and put depth and angle marks so you can be sure its reassembled quickly and correctly.

Then use the right amount of adhesive. If you use too little it makes the plastic very sticky and the set up time is faster. By using plenty (but not OTT) you get a bit more time to assemble and check alignment.

Andy is quite right! And rubber (or what ever they are now) seals, perish over time (ok over a shorter time than solvent weld pipes would) and would leak first. Embarrassed to say but remember the waste pipes suspended under floors will sag unless properly supported... ?

Marvin

( I know I failed)

• Like 1

Sorry Conor.  Complicated answer.

Screwfix will supply all the parts you need but if the "40 mm waste pipe that you have " is from another supplier you may find it slightly bigger or smaller than the screw fix designed bits.

I will see what I can photo for you

M

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Use "tiger seal" to glue solvent weld. You don't have 5 pico seconds to get it right then. You have many hours!

I build using feel, instinct and my eyes. Understandably that leads to many cockups, so any kind of buffer is of high value to me!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Conor said:

I build using feel, instinct and my eyes. Understandably that leads to many cockups, so any kind of buffer is of high value to me!

Yep . Solvent weld for simple joints when you know it’s right no probs . More complex things use tiger seal ( or equivalent ) - you have lots of time to adjust and change . It’s messy stuff though ; certainly don’t want it on anything apart from your pipe 

Edited by pocster