bathroom en-suites - where best to buy!

TryC

Hi All,

I have been recommended to get all the fixtures in a bathroom from different places - i.e. bath here, shower there, taps over there, toilet elsewhere!

It is a bit of a drag not being able to buy it all in one place, but I guess there is a reason why I have been suggested this by the fitter.

Does anyone have any advice on where to get there fixtures from?

I would be looking for baths with shower screen (left hang) size 1650mm, then the taps, shower heads et al, sink, toilet and cistern, flooring, tiles and lights and mirrors and ventilation fans! 

Any advice would be appreciated.?

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few online shops that do good prices. Depends if you know alley what you want. QS Supplies and ErgonomicDesign are both pretty reasonably priced. Victorianplumbing and drench are cheap, but watch out as a lot of their stock is cheap Chinese stuff.

Beware of bathroom shops.  When we looked, I found the one in Inverness wanted to charge almost 3 times the price for multipanel compared to Jewsons price.  That's why the advice is not to buy a package.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Beware of bathroom shops.  When we looked, I found the one in Inverness wanted to charge almost 3 times the price for multipanel compared to Jewsons price.  That's why the advice is not to buy a package.

Agree with that. Builder's depot also does good deals on toilets, particularly if you need 2 or more.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

price yes, service...?? Check the reviews ... Also don’t hold stock - if it says 3-5 days it means they order in from disti. 

Good to know! I was literally just about to order from them. So where's best for Grohe toilet frames and cisterns?

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

There are a few online shops that do good prices. Depends if you know alley what you want. QS Supplies and ErgonomicDesign are both pretty reasonably priced. Victorianplumbing and drench are cheap, but watch out as a lot of their stock is cheap Chinese stuff.

thanks! the fitter actually suggested I get my suite from victorian plumbing lol

I'll keep on looking but it might be I have more time to look now as my fitter has suddenly ghosted me for no reason. sigh. where are all the reliable tradespeople??

So Victorian Plumbing is a weird mix of branded and unbranded stuff. I’ve used them for some shower kit and tbh it’s been very good. Tap from the same range was made of recycled toffee wrappers ... 

QS Supplies messed us about a bit - some stuff we ordered from QS came from another retailer (Ideal Bathrooms) - Returns were a nightmare.

We got our Grohe frame and pan as a complete kit from a local bathroom showroom - it was on special offer, and cheaper than anywhere else.

15 minutes ago, wozza said:

QS Supplies messed us about a bit - some stuff we ordered from QS came from another retailer (Ideal Bathrooms) - Returns were a nightmare.

We got our Grohe frame and pan as a complete kit from a local bathroom showroom - it was on special offer, and cheaper than anywhere else.

is Grohe the way to go for bathroom suites?

16 hours ago, TryC said:

is Grohe the way to go for bathroom suites?

I cannot comment on brands of toilets, we have recently fitted a Grohe (Rapid XL Frame and Euro pan) and an Ideal Standard Close Coupled Aquablade toliet - both of which we are really happy with.

The two large shower trays we fitted were from Traymate uk - we ditched the included wastes and used McAlpine.

The Shower glass (two enclosures) was from Kudos (I think) - 10mm glass - very happy with them.

The Vanity units are from various suppliers.

We fitted 3 mixer taps - first two Bristan and then one Hansgrohe (all about the same price)  - I would choose Hansgrohe if doing again

Edited by wozza

4 hours ago, Adsibob said:

@wozza do you mean the Rapid SL? If so, what thickness wall did you put it into? I struggle understanding the dimensions on the attached spec sheet, is it saying the wall has to be 230mm thick or 165mm?

GROHE_Specification_Sheet_38773000.pdf 471.76 kB · 1 download

I fitted mine against an outside wall is a narrow cloakroom about 1 meter wide and built a timber frame around it so wall thickness was not a concern.

Looking at the spec sheet it looks like it shows a minimum of 145/165mm if using a 110mm diameter waste.