Kitchen Island or No Kitchen Island?

patp

Our new kitchen is almost 6m x about 5m with a window at each end. The doors are at diagonal corners to each other. When designers have come they have nearly all wanted to give us an L shape kitchen. When we mention an island they seem a bit puzzled but put it in. When we mention a U shape kitchen there is a sharp intake of breath and one said "that is a lot of cupboards!" There will be a dining table at one end so we thought a U shape at the other end with an island would be sensible. 

One or two people have told us that they do not like their relative's island as they have to "keep walking round it" to get things. We are not really cooks so do we need an island or would the tradition triangle work better i.e. sink under window, fridge on side wall and cooker on other side wall.

Any thoughts?

We have an island in a similar space, and like it.  BUT our kitchen is not a through route.  I have seen a similar kitchen with doors in opposite corners and when just "passing through" it is an irritation to have to dogleg one side or other of the island, particularly if there are stools or other items in the way.

• Like 1

Find a good designer. Tell them honestly what you can afford to spend and discuss with them what it is you'd like from the kitchen and let them do their their thing. If you have a good designer, the more information your give them, the better will be the end result.

The key thing about having an island in a kitchen is segregation of functions and a clear traffic route. In our house we had the business end down at the gable- oven, hob, prep area, later. The everyday stuff, fridge sink, kettle, toaster etc were at the other end. This meant if you were doing a cook up, nobody would be heading down that end of the kitchen. For fear of being given a job.

If there is a through route to another room, leave at least 1200mm on that side of the island and don't have any busy areas, e.g dishwasher. We had the plates and glasses units on the "traffic" side of the island along with tow stools and was never an issue.

Post your floorplans.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

Can't do the technology I am afraid. It is an oblong room with a door at opposite diagonal corners. The through route would mean a diversion around the island. Our main reason for wanting one was so that it could be a reduced height area for me. One designer has told us he can reduce the height of the whole run of units so the island may not be so desirable now.

Think about how you will use it too. If you have stools at an island will they face out a window with a nice view, will guests sit at them while you prep dinner, is it a place to put the nibbles when entertaining (party's always in the kitchen!), will you have breakfast at the island, if one or more side is along a through route what will that side be used for, what will be under it and how often are those things accessed, will you be fed up turning between it and the wall backed worktop... and a million other things i'm sure

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@cwr those are my problems. We do not entertain. There is room for a dining area so we will not eat at it.

My first thought was that I could have it at a lower height and all the other base units at standard (too high for me) height. I hate cooker hoods so that is another negative to having the hob on the island. One of the kitchen designers reckons he can build a kitchen with all the work surfaces lowered to a more comfortable height for me.

Has anyone used one of these mobile butcher's block type centre pieces?