Greetings from the Midlands

JackOfNoTrades

Hi there all. 

Long time lurker here so thought it was about time to sign up and participate. 

Based in Leicester. No building background, but I have just about finished a garden office (screw foundation, timber frame, 80mm PIR insulation, UPVC window and door, EPDM roof, cedar shingles) where the only thing I paid someone else to do was the electrics. Because, you know, the law. 

Now hoping to self build a timber frame kitchen extension. Terrifying, but I know I can count on you lot for some sage advice. 

Thanks all! 

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. 
No signs of me being called back into an office for quite some time... ?

I'm doing a PhD and travel with shows. But yes, it is a lovely place to work. 

I've already benefited from the forum over the past year, so I'm looking forward to contributing where I can. 

On 28/04/2021 at 07:50, Tennentslager said:

Send us some pictures Jack especially those screw foundations...not typical for a garden building.

Interested to know why you chose that route?

I try to avoid concrete where I can. This was totally dry and totally DIY - after getting advice for the right screws that would support the weight of this building. I did have to scan the ground first though - I was petrified about screwing into a pipe or cable so wanted to make 100% sure. 

Here's a sneak peak of the floor before the insulation went in. You can see the ground screws underneath. 

foundation for garden.jpg

• Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 08:53, SteamyTea said:

Technical or a talking one?

A written thingy in the field of disability and careers. The more I study the less I understand it. 

On 28/04/2021 at 08:53, SteamyTea said:

What sort?

Actor and variety entertainer. So ... whichever one pays. 

Tidy job Jack, it's not going to fall down with that underbuild.

20 years here in disability advocacy but have to say referrals re employment issues are like hen's teeth.

Maybe one a year, probably because the employment rate is so so low for folks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PeterW said:

who's did you use in the end and how much did they cost ..?

I used The Groundscrew Centre. What they were offering was enough for my soil type and structure. It came to about £450 all in, including delivery and the tools/drillbit required.  

I know I could have done concrete pads for cheaper, but this was so much easier to get perfectly level in an afternoon. 

On 04/05/2021 at 22:29, Tennentslager said:

Tidy job Jack, it's not going to fall down with that underbuild.

20 years here in disability advocacy but have to say referrals re employment issues are like hen's teeth.

Maybe one a year, probably because the employment rate is so so low for folks.

Thanks Tennents, I really appreciate that. What you see there is pretty much my first attempt at carpentry, so I'm pretty darn proud of it. Hands up - not everything was that neat as the build went on! 

Cool to hear that you've been in the disability advocacy space for 20 years. I'm much newer to the field but learning new stuff every day. My uni is Glasgow by the way (where I see you're from).