Lowering staircase

One day I popped by my house unannounced to see how the builder was getting on. In front of my house was some bloke I’d not seen before operating a crane that was on the back of a truck which belonged to the local builder’s merchant. The crane, which was designed for unloading bags of sand and other supplies off the truck, was instead holding a 500kg 10metre RSJ some 10m directly above the bloke’s own head. He was trying to slot it into a small hole in the roof, and kept missing.  The forema, his men  and eventually my neighbours were staring at him as he kept trying to thread it in to this small hole. I couldn’t bare to watch so just left them to it. The following day the beam was miraculously in position with no damage to the roof or injury to life or limb (as far as I know).

@pocster please get a crane and a qualified - and insured - crane operator!

• Like 1

Repeated in bold from your anchor bolt & packer thread. How bad are the scratches? If real tears in the coating then you'll have to rub down and try and feather the edges, maybe even a smear of body filler, prime and paint. If you don't want to go the route of proper PPC touch up stuff then probably easiest to zinc prime and spray with an aerosol from your local car paint factors. They'll make to any RAL, BS colour and do touch up pens too. If you can give the approx gloss %age for the finish. Your minted, get a magic man in! You can have a word why they nicked your stage name ?

https://www.magicman.co.uk/

Is it painted to a particular RAL number?

Best start is to get some polyester powder coat touch up pens or better a pot of touch up paint from whoever did the PPC. The use the same paint powder in a solvent so it matches exactly. You can get it from 3rd parties online but they expect you to have some powder. Some of course will sell you the powder. The touch up paint pots have a little brush in like for solvent weld.

If you just want to get on and do it then drill your hole, small brush, zinc rich primer and let it dry for a bit. If you go brush then any anti corrosion primer ideally with a zinc base. I see TS do a Rustin's one. At work we'd use Galvafroid generally on steelwork or Zinga sometimes. 

I say brush rather than a spray but I use the Pro-Cote Cold Galv Spray from

Toolstation a lot for my various mad projects and garden repairs (at work too tbh). If you feel you can spray in the holes accurate enough without overspray (or mask up). I'd still probably spray. For this I might even splash out in some Zinc 182 spray (Halfords do it). It's good stuff.

Let it dry in the hole. The Pro-Cote stuff dries real quick btw. Slap some grease in there, nut it up with a smear of anti seize on the threads. Go round later and wipe any excess off if it annoys you. 

For ongoing protection around the fixings a squirt of ACF-50.

Periodically check the torque too.

Edited by Onoff

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Repeated in bold from your anchor bolt & packer thread. How bad are the scratches? If real tears in the coating then you'll have to rub down and try and feather the edges, maybe even a smear of body filler, prime and paint. If you don't want to go the route of proper PPC touch up stuff then probably easiest to zinc prime and spray with an aerosol from your local car paint factors. They'll make to any RAL, BS colour and do touch up pens too. If you can give the approx gloss %age for the finish. Your minted, get a magic man in! You can have a word why they nicked your stage name ?

https://www.magicman.co.uk/

Is it painted to a particular RAL number?

Best start is to get some polyester powder coat touch up pens or better a pot of touch up paint from whoever did the PPC. The use the same paint powder in a solvent so it matches exactly. You can get it from 3rd parties online but they expect you to have some powder. Some of course will sell you the powder. The touch up paint pots have a little brush in like for solvent weld.

If you just want to get on and do it then drill your hole, small brush, zinc rich primer and let it dry for a bit. If you go brush then any anti corrosion primer ideally with a zinc base. I see TS do a Rustin's one. At work we'd use Galvafroid generally on steelwork or Zinga sometimes. 

I say brush rather than a spray but I use the Pro-Cote Cold Galv Spray from

Toolstation a lot for my various mad projects and garden repairs (at work too tbh). If you feel you can spray in the holes accurate enough without overspray (or mask up). I'd still probably spray. For this I might even splash out in some Zinc 182 spray (Halfords do it). It's good stuff.

Let it dry in the hole. The Pro-Cote stuff dries real quick btw. Slap some grease in there, nut it up with a smear of anti seize on the threads. Go round later and wipe any excess off if it annoys you. 

For ongoing protection around the fixings a squirt of ACF-50.

Periodically check the torque too.

Yeah I thought we had discussed it before but couldn’t be bothered to search . 
Can find out gloss factor . 
Car touch up pens ( sound the simplest ) need a reg to colour match . You got a black motor ? Mines white so might not match ???

What a (expletive deleted) of a job !

Had to have the crane repositioned 3 times . Slinger was a new guy . Crane driver in a piss .

Started at 8am , now 2pm - it was a nightmare !

Stringers in . As expected it wobbles like (expletive deleted) as no bolts to the wall along the middle run . So I’ll drill a few holes into the steel and add some .

The guys mellowed up towards the end so I bought them coffee , sausage roll and doughnuts . Also lobbed them some cash each . They could of stopped as it was so problematic. One said “ I’m not a staircase installer “ - he was told just 2 lifts to the garden . I appreciated their efforts . So @joe90 could I have done with your extra set of hands ? YES ?

6DCEFA3D-9848-4491-BDE7-D9C79D1DCF33.jpeg

C73E2463-B9D9-4BFF-B27D-FF9FF96D93F5.jpeg

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

could I have done with your extra set of hands ?

Sorry bud, bad timing eh? look on the bright side, they are in and you can play with bolting it together and making it solid.

56 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Now the stairs are in, how are you going to render the walls?

Couldn't you have given him an at least one hour of happiness and a sense of accomplishment ?

Going for the new industrial dippy-hippy look - breezeblock.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Sorry bud, bad timing eh? look on the bright side, they are in and you can play with bolting it together and making it solid.

Yeah. Pissed down aswell. Still - now I have to wonder if AO.com are happy to get a 140kg fridge freezer down there ?

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Now the stairs are in, how are you going to render the walls?

Well smarty bolloxs . Never intended to render the walls. Will simp[ly paint then have a 'pocket sheet' thing attached to the wall for a vertical garden.

SO THERE! ?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

SO THERE

If you park up in The Swan Theatre short stay carpark in High Wycombe, they have a similar finish on the stair well wall.

Has an interesting odour, piss and detol.

At least down hear they only smell if pasty and fish.

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I think they should manage.  We got one up a flight of stairs with winders at the top.  The doors come off these fairly easily.

Yeah I reckon so . Width a bit tight . Fridge freezer is 91cm . Stairs 90cm . But once I get the handrail on ( it bolts on the side ) is about 93cm . So plenty of room ?

Edited by pocster

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Yeah I asked AO about this . They seemed to be concerned about the 90cm . Perhaps an American FF can’t be lead on it’s side ??? 

We did and it was fine.  At least you have gravity working with you.  You may even be able to keep the packaging on.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

We did and it was fine.  At least you have gravity working with you.  You may even be able to keep the packaging on.

Might just be AO worrying needlessly. I’ll finish the stairs ; jump / slide / stamp on them . If all good will order the biggest American fridge freezer I can find ?