Lowering staircase

6 hours ago, pocster said:

My external staircase arrives soon . It’s in sections ( apparently! ) .

Heaviest single component is 95kg .

It will have a lip and rest on the wall to the left ; then lowered down .

Though I have a winch there’s no where to fix it to . I could make a Scaff tower and get an end on there whilst the other rest on the wall . But how do I lower ? What’s the best ( and safest ) way to do this apart from crane hire ?

C701AB0F-F72F-4C13-926E-DBCDE44521F6.jpeg

Can you slide it in over that wall on the left? Secure the end of the staircase with a winch then see-saw it over the edge. A couple of ropes on the bottom end.

You'd need a couple of mates to help though so that's out the window!

7 hours ago, pocster said:

My external staircase arrives soon . It’s in sections ( apparently! ) .

Really depends on what these sections are, I would guess ? two long “strings” and bolt on steps!!!, @pocster can you not ask your supplier what these sections are and individual weights 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Really depends on what these sections are, I would guess ? two long “strings” and bolt on steps!!!, @pocster can you not ask your supplier what these sections are and individual weights 

Just got a reply from them 

2 x stringers at 95kg each 

• Thanks 1

What's the finish on the staircase?

Rope on each end. Stand well back. Just get it near the edge and kick it over the side...bit of carpet over the edge to protect the rope. You can hold back 47.5 kg on your own. Hook one end over the lip lower the other end down. I've done worse/sillier.

Just now, pocster said:

I’ll manage it on my own

I am known for not abiding by health and safety regs but I would want at least one another person with me (if only to dial 999 for an ambulance). 

• Haha 1

Just now, joe90 said:

I am known for not abiding by health and safety regs but I would want at least one another person with me (if only to dial 999 for an ambulance). 

I’ll dial 999 on speakerphone before I do it ?

• Haha 1

A really good devise for lowering stuff is a “clogg” or “figure 8, it’s an abseiling devise that acts like a brake, let’s you lower yourself or a heavy weight with ease, just need a bar or something from that wall over to your walkway.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’ll manage it on my own ?

Got this far ....

I’m always stiff ....................................

That's been my motto too, although I did get some friends over to intall my 200kg and 300kg 1st floor windows. You're actually not too far from me. I've got two hoists, one electric, one chain knocking around. Let me know if you want a hand and when and I'll see if I can make it over. I'm sure we could figure something out. My main problem throughout the whole of my build has been how to get things up inaccessible banking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Let me know if you want a hand and when and I'll see if I can make it over.

"The way into my parlour is down a winding stair,
And I have many curious things to shew when you are there.”
“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “to ask me is in vain,

For who goes down your winding stair can ne’er come up again.

p05db49j.jpg.92ca44570d45bbd7ff9d0ee9646e5ff9.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

At last….., what weight and what are you going to put on the end of that bar to balance it (min 50kg if your limiting load to that)? I would add another “putlock” and short tube down the back of the wall, take the strain off the bolt into the wall if it were me!

Edited by joe90

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

At last….., what weight and what are you going to put on the end of that bar to balance it (min 50kg if your limiting load to that)? I would add another “putlock” and short tube down the back of the wall, take the strain off the bolt into the wall if it were me!

Shhh, you'll spoil the fun. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yeah I’ll stick 50kg on the end . Put lock? Crap drawing please !