Decking finish advice req.

Hi All,

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some pointers on best course of action with my decking. Probably a case of more what not to do than not what to do!.

I have included some photos as it’s easier than purely explaining through text. 

I would like to spruce this lot up. However I’m not sure if the existing finish is a stain or a decking style paint?. I’m assuming it would be better to go over with something of similar Ilk?

Also am I right in thinking the right procedure would be:

Sweep
Jet wash
Paint the rails and bannisters
Paint decking

Or do I need to sand anything?

Many thanks for any advice.

Kind regards
Paul 

60855CCF-FBAD-4C90-B179-128CA51B27D0.jpeg

Don't jet wash. Just brush, clean with detergent (or use fancy decking cleaner), dry out and brush again, then stain.

I'd avoid the glossy type decking paint as it never ever lasts. Just use decking stain. I'd suggest a dark grey if you want a change from the brown. You'll have to go darker. Looks like what is there already.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Don't jet wash. Just brush, clean with detergent (or use fancy decking cleaner), dry out and brush again, then stain.

I'd avoid the glossy type decking paint as it never ever lasts. Just use decking stain. I'd suggest a dark grey if you want a change from the brown. You'll have to go darker. Looks like what is there already.

Hi Conor,

thanks for your reply, when you say detergent just an off the shelf household one?. Should I dilute theta with warm water and scrub and brush with that?.

why not jet wash? Too powerful?.

ok stain it is. Yes currently is a unfetching borne colour but a lot of stuff round here is (fascias etc) is there a certain product to go for or avoid?

also regarding changing colour will that go straight on top or would I have to sand back? 

39 minutes ago, Conor said:

Don't jet wash as it lifts the wood fibers up and encourages algae to grow.

I have used watered down bleach and a floor brush in the past.

Don't sand. 

Ok great thank you.

any recommendations on products for the stain? 

2 hours ago, TonyT said:

Wet and forget. Or patio magic to clean deck with no effort.

then a clear decking oil for me.

Hi Tony,

thank you for your reply.

Forgive my ignorance is wet and forget a product?

also would a clear  decking oil work on this as its already had a stain and it’s patchy in a few places. 

On 29/04/2021 at 05:55, Onoff said:

Erm...don't thank me yet! ?

Haha you bastard!

any opinion on products. My mind goes to Cuprinol or Ronseal when I think of this type of task? 
will I be able to choose my finish and just paint over? 

I've had good results with Osmo decking oil (colour base coat followed by non-slip coat). It does need to penetrate though which would depend on the existing covering, so a sanding may be necessary (which is what I did when redoing our decking).