New Build - Approved Document R

Johnny Jekyll

For our new build, the building inspector has asked us to provide Approved Document R details - of the in-building physical infrastructure to allow for future installation of broadband / data cables.

I've been reading and understand it's a requirement for infrastructure enabling the installation of copper or fibre-optic cables or wireless devices capable of delivering broadband speeds of more than 30 Mbps. Things like access points, high speed electronic communications network, in-building physical infrastructure and network termination point.

The house will be pretty high tech but we haven't got going on that stuff yet. Are there standard notes or a detail that we can put on the drawings to satisfy the building inspector's question at this stage, rather than producing a full electrical layout (which we're not ready to do yet)?

Many thanks.

I think at this stage it's only about where the duct for the cabling starts at the begining of your land nearest the public highway to where it ends at a box on your building.( This point is referred to as where demarcation happens.) Search for: PAS 2016 for info on  ducting requirements in your search engine.

So in the future when they want to roll out 10G, sorry, 4G or whatever they can draw a cable along the duct from the pavement to your external wall.

Ask the building inspector if they only want a schematic of the duct route to demarcation point at the moment.

Probably wanted to give you the heads up that you have to get a duct in.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck

Marvin.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marvin said:

I think at this stage it's only about where the duct for the cabling starts at the begining of your land nearest the public highway to where it ends at a box on your building.( This point is referred to as where demarcation happens.) Search for: PAS 2016 for info on  ducting requirements in your search engine.

So in the future when they want to roll out 10G, sorry, 4G or whatever they can draw a cable along the duct from the pavement to your external wall.

Ask the building inspector if they only want a schematic of the duct route to demarcation point at the moment.

Probably wanted to give you the heads up that you have to get a duct in.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck

Marvin.

Excellent info thanks Marvin. I'll ask the building inspector and when I get a response I'll post back here.