Feedback on tiling work

LA3222

Just had the plant room tiled so I can stick the UVC onto a tiled floor.

I checked what he was doing every now and then. To my untrained eye the job looks 'ok', just after some expert opinions.

I put a level on it and there is one bit where the floor is concave by about 4mm under the centre of a 2m level, but generally speaking everywhere else appears OK.

Lines look OK, grout thickness appears consistent. My only gripe really is the corners where tiles meet aren't 'perfect. Minor imperfections but I checked and he didn't use levelling clips other than on one tile. When I saw it I asked and he said it being a pita to sit right.

Personally, I would have liked to see levelling clups used everywhere.

The floor is fine for the plant room, should I expect a higher standard for the main house though or is this work OK?

20210427_082431.jpg

20210427_082437.jpg

20210427_082444.jpg

20210427_082639.jpg

Edited by LA3222

59 minutes ago, nod said:

Looks fine 

Any leveling or straightening Has to be done prior to the tiles going down 

Cheers for the feedback, I've no experience of what constitutes acceptable so good to hear its OK.

The canber I've put down to a quirk of the slab in that area, just wasn't sure if it passes muster as a whole. Now I do?

Tiles don’t come out of the boxes perfect either, unless you’ve spent a few extra quid on rectified edge porcelain, and then they’re not always completely perfect / flat on all 4 corners. 
Asking a tiler to do half bond ( staggered joins ) like you’ve done creates a pita of a job tbh so put the micro detailing to one side and tell him you’re happy with the job. 
Explain fully to him that you expect him to go above and beyond in the house, eg so he has a fair opportunity to stop and survey the other areas, and ask him to make recommendations for any areas which need self levelling, prior to tiling, so he has no come backs if he’s not maintained standards.

Tiles are not supposed to end up like a single sheet of glass, they’re tiles. Imperfect, irregular, and lots of them. ;)   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1