Water supply pipe through foundation block work

DC5

Hi folks, some advice please!

I am going to have to take the properties new main water supply (32mm) through our extensions foundations - 3 course of 140mm dense block on strip and up through the slab. 

On the plans it says no pipe through founds unless a lintel is used. What one should be used with the 140x100x440 block and how far should it bridge? 

Does anyone have and pics or spec on this it’s in Scotland if it makes a difference!

Any input appreciated!

Many people use a length of 110mm drainage pipe as a duct for services. The bearing ends need to be 100mm each so minimum length of lintel would be 310mm.

However I don't think that's a standard length for a lintel. So better bet is to omit a block and use a 450mm long lintel on two courses of bricks either side of a 110mm pipe. Two bricks and a 65mm deep lintle should be same height as a block.

If you need a wider opening opening omit two blocks and use a 900mm wide lintel on bricks. I think 900mm wide lintels might be easier to get than 450mm.

900 x 100x 65mm lintel are £11 at Wickes. 

I’m doing footings at the moment with a guy who’s been doing them 20 yrs plus.Unless the water is entering with other services through the same void,he just leaves a 140mm approx gap in the first course of blocks & spans across it with a block on the next course. 

Thanks very much for the responses.

The plans state a lintel bridging any opening however I’m struggling to get a 140x220 lintel in any length - not sure if anything else could be made to work.