Mains Water Supply

Peterp

My grans old cottage has this mains water supply (see photos) is this normal? it looks like 2 converters to get down to size.  Not sure why it was done like this but would like to remove the mess -  (outside there is a cut off value but it leaks).  Not sure what options I have but any advice would much appreciated.

159F5B91-CC34-4D46-87CB-3430799E754F.jpeg

9216D66B-7F14-436C-9F32-14638D57A615.jpeg

Pipe coming through the wall is most likely lead. Where is the connection to the main.? And is there a meter ..? A lot of water companies replace lead pipework free of charge to the mains stopcock or meter. 

Thanks PeterW - Well, ( and sorry this is where it gets interesting) the cottage is actually in a field about 1/4 mile from the main (single track) road. I think the water supply was added in the early 70s.  It’s not metered and the pipe supplying the cottage looks like hard plastic (bright blue).   I checked along the road for a supply cut off but couldn’t find anything. There is a value on the outside/other side of that wall in the picture.  I’m not sure what response I’d get from the water company but I might give them a phone.

So if it’s blue to fairly near then not difficult to change the last bit to MDPE assuming it’s easily dig out..?? Can you check the bit coming through the wall just isn’t dirty black alkathene..? See if it’s metallic or very cold to the touch. 

Hi 

so I had a dig around on the outside of the cottage- the pipe actually looks like a 2 1/2 inch plastic feed (not blue and not lead) -  is there an easy way to tidy the fittings up so there’s not the extravagant pipe work on the inside, just to get it down to 1 1/2 inch? 
peter

63A81031-00F9-4C57-A1F3-D19632A0313E.jpeg