Retaining walls - what to use

Had planned on using sleepers to retain stepped levels of garden (900mm each step, if that's the right word), including some banks of wildflower on the perimeter of the plot. Looking at reducing excavation costs by retaining a bit more spoil on site into those banks but engineer (site, not structural) suggests that sleepers may not be suitable for the job if we go much higher. Any thoughts, what did you use and how did costs compare etc?

25 minutes ago, eandg said:

Had planned on using sleepers to retain stepped levels of garden (900mm each step, if that's the right word), including some banks of wildflower on the perimeter of the plot. Looking at reducing excavation costs by retaining a bit more spoil on site into those banks but engineer (site, not structural) suggests that sleepers may not be suitable for the job if we go much higher. Any thoughts, what did you use and how did costs compare etc?

Have a look at how crib walls are constructed. Plenty info on the net.

Don't push your luck and try and retain a big embankment, but for a modest garden retaiing wall well away from the house it may be the thing for you.

Also you could look at gabion baskets. With the right choice of stone they can look great and provide the right habitat for wild flowers etc.

20 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

Have a look at how crib walls are constructed. Plenty info on the net.

Don't push your luck and try and retain a big embankment, but for a modest garden retaiing wall well away from the house it may be the thing for you.

Also you could look at gabion baskets. With the right choice of stone they can look great and provide the right habitat for wild flowers etc.

Gabions something I've looked at in the past but could never get my head round pricing for baskets or stones (type, amount needed etc). But shall look again. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Temp said:

I've heard of people using decorative stones on the exposed faces of the gabion and something cheaper in the middle.

Same. The price of the gabion baskets - minus stone - looks on the face of it to be pretty expensive. But I don't know if I've bene looking in the right places! If it's much more expensive than sleepers it might well be worth just paying for the excavation and disposal and saving the hassle. 

Edited by eandg

7 hours ago, Temp said:

I've heard of people using decorative stones on the exposed faces of the gabion and something cheaper in the middle.

Yep, use old bricks where they can't be seen, so if used as a retaining wall, only use the decorative stones on the front face and the top.  Saves a lot.

Simon

I'm literally taking down a sleeper retaining  wall now (on a t break, don't shoot me) it's been just under seven years since it was built. Needless to say if your going with sleepers pay for the propper ones and get some drainage behind them. 

The other sleeper wall was built out of decent tanalised timber and isnt showing any problems at all yet. 

• 11 months later...
On 25/04/2021 at 23:42, eandg said:

900mm each step

That might not sound like a lot but it is. Anything over 600 needs some serious engineering if it's to last. Have you considered a concrete footing and blockwork retaining wall? Faced with natural stone it can look wonderful. I'd choose stone over brick for durability and over rendered blockwork which is very difficult to get right and can look shabby in no time. 6 tons of cropped walling sandstone did about 30m2 for me at £150 a ton.

• Like 1

We used 150mm round posts, about a metre under ground and 2m above for the tall ones, about 900mm above and 600mm below ground for the short ones.  Below ground is set in concrete.  Membrane is used at back off the posts, allow water out and keep soil from washing out.

IMG_20220331_145637.jpg

• Like 4

@JohnMo

That does look good I think, once it's planted up and weathered a bit..better still. Does not look like you are retaining the full 2.0m height on the high side though so probably not that much load on it. Could be a haven for insects and solitary bees especially in the winter as the soil at the back keeps things a bit warmer.

The right side is closer to 1m the left closer to 2m, the soil level is about 200 to 300mm below top of pole of the left retaining wall.  There is a flat area about 2m wide, it then rises up 6 to 10m of very compact sand covered in soil.