Shortage of kitchen and bathroom fitters

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/apr/25/homeowners-face-long-delays-for-kitchen-and-bathroom-fitters

Homeowners face long delays for kitchen and bathroom fitters

Brexit worker shortfall is being exacerbated by high demand for room revamps during Covid lockdowns

Homeowners are waiting months longer than usual for bathrooms and kitchens to be installed as an industry-wide labour shortage that has been exacerbated by Brexit collides with the home improvement binge triggered by Covid-19 lockdowns.

The pandemic has resulted in a huge increase in spending on homes and gardens as money traditionally spent on nights out and foreign holidays is ploughed into room revamps. However, fitters are struggling to meet the demand, and lead times for new kitchen, bathroom or wardrobes have spiralled from a pre-Covid norm of four to eight weeks to 12–18 weeks.

Continues..

12-18 weeks is about right for the decent fitters - nothing to do with Brexit..! Round here I know they are booking August and that’s what I would expect. Anyone who’s available next week would always ring alarm bells ... 

A friend of ours has been getting plastering and tiling quotes from trades that normally do private jobs 

Quotes are coming out roughly twice what I charge as a long established company 

I would invoice 30 days after the job is complete With 30 days to settle 

The government are not helping by paying trades to work part time 

Or not at all