EPS off-cuts - what to do

We are building a large pile of EPS off-cuts, many with the plastic web embedded. I understand that recycling is not really an option. 

Would appreciate hearing what you've done/are planning to do.

I have one possibility so far which may be hopeless, let me know ? Our garage will be a double skinned wall with lightweight blocks and externally rendered, interior plasterboard on battens. We could fill the cavity with EPS offcuts. If we did this I guess we'd need a membrane of some sort to improve air-tightness. We weren't planning to insulate the garage as it's on a raised platform so will have no floor insulation - it's not part of the house - attaches to a side wall with an exterior door in between it and the house. Is this likely to have any meaningful benefit - will the hassle of fitting be worth it?

I did advertise the off cuts for free . Only a few bits were taken though . 
Other ‘bits’ I did stick inside the timber frame and foam between them . Looks a mess but better than wasting - very slow build jigsaw though ?

• Like 1

How much are you producing?  We generally waste less than a couple of dumpy bags and never more than a 6yrd skip.  A skip is an economical route if you discuss it with the skip firm.....there's good money in EPS.

If you're still building, and without knowing anything about your project, I'd say you need to adjust your process to eliminate a greater proportion of the waste.  

Not exactly the cheapest material to be throwing lots away.

What's the system and where are you?

On 24/04/2021 at 16:04, Adam2 said:

We are building a large pile of EPS off-cuts, many with the plastic web embedded. I understand that recycling is not really an option. 

Would appreciate hearing what you've done/are planning to do.

I have one possibility so far which may be hopeless, let me know ? Our garage will be a double skinned wall with lightweight blocks and externally rendered, interior plasterboard on battens. We could fill the cavity with EPS offcuts. If we did this I guess we'd need a membrane of some sort to improve air-tightness. We weren't planning to insulate the garage as it's on a raised platform so will have no floor insulation - it's not part of the house - attaches to a side wall with an exterior door in between it and the house. Is this likely to have any meaningful benefit - will the hassle of fitting be worth it?

Get in touch with the EPS manufacturer you've used as a few of them now have recycling schemes to reduce wastage and get recycled into fresh boards. You may have to pay but it's likely to be cheaper than a skip or other waste service.

12 hours ago, FM2015 said:

How much are you producing?  We generally waste less than a couple of dumpy bags and never more than a 6yrd skip.  A skip is an economical route if you discuss it with the skip firm.....there's good money in EPS.

If you're still building, and without knowing anything about your project, I'd say you need to adjust your process to eliminate a greater proportion of the waste.  

Not exactly the cheapest material to be throwing lots away.

What's the system and where are you?

It's a fair size build with a complex shape - walls changing angle and 4 floors so it does mount up. I'm happy with the process just seeing how we can use the inevitable off-cuts.  

Thanks for the ideas.

So if I go with using this in the cavity wall of the garage - it was never intended to be insulated as will not be converted to habitable space - what should I do membrane wise to improve any benefits of this? Or is this only going to provide any measurable benefit if is forming a continuous block rather than lots of pieces stacked on each other?

Anything over 12"x12" type size should be snapped up on Freecycle.

The rest makes excellent lightweight backfill material otherwise fill old bulk bags and take it to a trade waste place which will be cheap to tip as will be based on weight.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam2 said:

It's a fair size build with a complex shape - walls changing angle and 4 floors so it does mount up. I'm happy with the process just seeing how we can use the inevitable off-cuts.  

If you can separate the non EPS component, I know a guy who puts the EPS component through a garden shredder.  Great for insulating some of the hard to reach, enclosed places.  All in non dwelling type buildings.

I'm not sure what the HSE would think of this!

• Like 1