Can a slab be too thick to have UFH pipes in it?

Thorfun

2 hours ago, Rob99 said:

No luck on the UFH pipe I'm afraid ☹️   

Looked everywhere I can think of but don't seem to have kept any (very unusual for me!!) possibly as I only had small offcuts and couldn't see any use for them. 

Found loads of spare bits of the JG 15mm pipe but that's no help.

no problem and thanks for looking. I will bite the bullet and order some 16mm elbows.

so, after all of that I decided to just buy the manifold and fit it now! when I started to add it all up it was almost half the price of a manifold. 

thanks for everyone's advice and I think this was a good example of not seeing the woods for the trees as I got so blinkered about using elbows that I didn't see the benefits of just skipping to the end result. it's amazing how focused you can get and it takes a moment or two of stepping back from the problem to see and consider all the other options.

• Like 1

Sounds sensible @Thorfun

When you connect up the loops you can fill each one individually by closing off all the other valves except that loop.

I found this much easier to make sure all the air was out of each loop and to pressure test each one seperately.

Have fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob99 said:

Sounds sensible @Thorfun

When you connect up the loops you can fill each one individually by closing off all the other valves except that loop.

I found this much easier to make sure all the air was out of each loop and to pressure test each one seperately.

Have fun.

that's how Wunda suggest to do it.

https://cdn.wundatrade.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/M07-generic-Wunda-premium-Manifold-2-5-2017.pdf

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Make yourself a box out of OSB / PLY, fill the inside with bubble wrap, and slide that over the manifold to keep it in one piece.

is that to protect it during the liquid screed pour? or for some other reason?

On 01/05/2021 at 18:55, Thorfun said:

5 x 3m 3wire 1-wire temp probes ordered from eBay and delivered ready for installation!

thanks. I've told Wunda I only want the pipe for now and they were ok with that.

thanks Rob but I've already ordered it. I could probably cancel it but it's done now and I'm on to the next thing to organise. 

If you are buying DS18B20 sensors make sure they are the real thing, not copies and work properly.  They all have a unique serial number. Someone on here bought a load and calibrated them, I think 3 out of 20 failed.  

39 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

If you are buying DS18B20 sensors make sure they are the real thing, not copies and work properly.  They all have a unique serial number. Someone on here bought a load and calibrated them, I think 3 out of 20 failed.  

would agree with that, I got 15, so far used 6 (7) one was faulty. Also had to add a calibration factor to all of them. All were reading high, max was 2 deg, min was 0.5 degrees. Used a medical thermometer as the ref.

• Like 1