soil stack/foul pipe excavation - HELP!!

It sounds like that manhole is in the main sewer that runs along the backs of several houses (explains that constant flow when your taps are off). If there are no other manholes its possible your connections to the sewer are all via branches rather than manholes. Its possible your neighbour downstream has a similar manhole - you might detect water from your taps in that one.

I think you need to keep looking for someone that does drainage work in your area.

Thank you!

I spoke to one of the guys today about this, He mentioned bringing up the internal pipe then putting in a U bend or something then the fitter can go ahead and connect when was needed. He mentioned the toilet downstairs would be operational as normal (only not available when they cut the pipe or something), but once out and at ground level they will block it off so rats do not crawl in it.

This other guy has quoted me about £300 alone for the materials, including the full stack outside with an inlet value. He also advised that the toilet downstairs will be usable as they will be making connections away from that pipe connection. He mentioned that he can place a cap on it temporarily to stop things crawling in  when I asked but he then mentioned to me that he might as well install the stack ready for connecting as it only takes a couple of hours from this stage.

If someone is bringing this up to ground level and getting it ready for connection to the upstairs new toilet, how much does this on average look like?

As I have been quoted a wide range of quotes here and it is becoming very frustrating.

I've had 400, 800, 1000, 1100, 1600. ?

2 hours ago, TryC said:

This other guy has quoted me about £300 alone for the materials, including the full stack outside with an inlet value.

I did a quick breakdown of what I might expect the materials for the outside stack option to be.. this is very rough estimate. I'm not sure what the input valve would be for.

Above ground..

110mm 12m black soil pipe - £50

110mm branch (2?) - £ 30

110mm 90 degree bend (2?) -£20

50 mm 3m black pipe for bath/basin - £ 10

Assorted 50mm bends/connectors (?) - £10

Cap/cage for stack £3

Underground...

Rest Bend - £ 10 to £20

110mm 6m Brown soil pipe - £20

110mm bends (2?) - £ 20

110mm plastic to China coupling - £5

Bulk bag gravel ? - £40 ?

Cement to support rest bend?

Yes I could see the materials being £250-£300.  Perhaps a bit less if not all the bends are required.

Edited by Temp

17 hours ago, Temp said:

I did a quick breakdown of what I might expect the materials for the outside stack option to be.. this is very rough estimate. I'm not sure what the input valve would be for.

Above ground..

110mm 12m black soil pipe - £50

110mm branch (2?) - £ 30

110mm 90 degree bend (2?) -£20

50 mm 3m black pipe for bath/basin - £ 10

Assorted 50mm bends/connectors (?) - £10

Cap/cage for stack £3

Underground...

Rest Bend - £ 10 to £20

110mm 6m Brown soil pipe - £20

110mm bends (2?) - £ 20

110mm plastic to China coupling - £5

Bulk bag gravel ? - £40 ?

Cement to support rest bend?

Yes I could see the materials being £250-£300.  Perhaps a bit less if not all the bends are required.

ah i see! thanks for the breakdown and explanation. I really appreciate it.

I am just waiting on a couple more quotes now!! wish me luckkkkk in finding the right trader!

• Like 1