Hardware VPN

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Anyone got one ?

Not so keen on software option as generally slower plus annual fee .

Looking to hide my IP but also be able to setup any external web/iOS app to have access .

Unless you're talking carrier grade equipment, I think you'll find and "hardware" VPN is purely software VPN running on a dedicated box. (Intel CPUs have had some sort of cryto accelerator support for years)

My unifi USG has a VPN client built in, but I'd struggle to call it a Hardware VPN with a straight face.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, joth said:

Unless you're talking carrier grade equipment, I think you'll find and "hardware" VPN is purely software VPN running on a dedicated box. (Intel CPUs have had some sort of cryto accelerator support for years)

My unifi USG has a VPN client built in, but I'd struggle to call it a Hardware VPN with a straight face.

Yeah I guess I mean a “ dedicated vpn “ box . Did look at the UniFi one . How do you get on with it ?

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I guess I mean a “ dedicated vpn “ box . Did look at the UniFi one . How do you get on with it ?

What it does, it does extremely well and overall life is much more stable using it.

It has a few niggles/ missing features that even really basic routers often support now, and for some reason they are incredibly slow / unwilling to address.

Example: the built in speed test monitor never seems to work

Example: it uses DHCP presented names for local DNS resolution fine, but for devices that don't supply a meaningful name, the "name alias" you set in the router does NOT work as it's DNS name. So I end up with more hard coded IP addresses that I had with my own hand rolled dnsmasq setup.

Example: I bought it for wan1/2 failover, but connecting a second modem to wan 2 that's in a permanently failed state (e.g. an LTE modem with expired PAYG sim card) randomly causes wan 1 to spuriously fail too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joth said:

What it does, it does extremely well and overall life is much more stable using it.

It has a few niggles/ missing features that even really basic routers often support now, and for some reason they are incredibly slow / unwilling to address.

Example: the built in speed test monitor never seems to work

Example: it uses DHCP presented names for local DNS resolution fine, but for devices that don't supply a meaningful name, the "name alias" you set in the router does NOT work as it's DNS name. So I end up with more hard coded IP addresses that I had with my own hand rolled dnsmasq setup.

Example: I bought it for wan1/2 failover, but connecting a second modem to wan 2 that's in a permanently failed state (e.g. an LTE modem with expired PAYG sim card) randomly causes wan 1 to spuriously fail too.

Sounds like they need to fix a few bugs . 

I use cyberghost and it's never slowed any thing of mine down. Use it to stream IPTV, prime, Netflix etc and have streamed 4k quality streams with no issue. Cost £60 for 3 years and works across 10 different devices so sold a few slots and covered my outlay.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W

Recommended by a fellow IT security expert - very useful if you are travelling as well and want to VPN from a public wifi hotspot e.g. local coffee shop or a hotel room

That’s a neat device but the VPN it facilitates is really meant to try and keep your data secure when surfing on open networks. Not sure whether the OP was trying to create a secure link back to a home network when on the move - if so, Sonicwall… if not, your box looks very handy!