are in-built/bespoke wardbrobes/cupboards worth it?

TryC

Hi All,

What are you thoughts about getting in-built/bespoke cupboards/wardrobes in the bedroom please?

We were recently quoted on a bespoke item, but it seemed it consisted of MDF wood cut out and fitted - no shelves of any sort and no backboard, just basically the shell of the cupboard/wardrobe - two of (of an average size) and some shelves in the middle of the two.

We were quoted just shy of 2k for this, and thinking about it, it does seem expensive for what it is, especially, if it is just the shell being provided - and what I mean by shell is the frame of the cupboard and the doors - it is not provided with a finish and nor will the joiner paint it at the end.

Has anyone got any experience on having these installed or is it better to get one from a store you build yourself and pop it into the space instead!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Could get two pretty decent oak wardrobes and a chest of drawers for that. Eg Oak Furniture Land.

Where did you get quotes from? I'd try for a local carpenter. They can buy drawers or drawer kits so don't have to make those unless you want non standard sizes. 

Edited by Temp

From the VAT standpoint it’s the difference between having wardrobes that qualify for zero rating (ie built into the recess with no structure, just doors), vs buying standard wardrobes that are standard rated. If you can DIY the ‘IKEA’ type then it may be cheaper overall even paying VAT. Depends how neatly standard sized flat pack wardrobes fit into your space in the end. I have built in ones. The doors and shelves were supplied as part of the timber frame kit and the joiner fitted them. 

1 minute ago, Temp said:

Could get two pretty decent oak wardrobes and a chest of drawers for that.

Where did you get quotes from? I'd try for a local carpenter. They can buy drawers or drawer kits so don't have to make those unless you want non standard sizes. 

a local joiner I found during my online searches. seems to have very good reviews!

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

From the VAT standpoint it’s the difference between having wardrobes that qualify for zero rating (ie built into the recess with no structure, just doors), vs buying standard wardrobes that are standard rated. If you can DIY the ‘IKEA’ type then it may be cheaper overall even paying VAT. Depends how neatly standard sized flat pack wardrobes fit into your space in the end. I have built in ones. The doors and shelves were supplied as part of the timber frame kit and the joiner fitted them. 

I'm going to have to re-read this in the morning after some sleep!

I'm new to all this, but thank you for your advice :)