Bonkers idea or a great idea?

6 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

We have mooring now so definitely at some point in the future when the house and garden is sorted. They ain't cheap!

Are you entitled to sublet your garden-side mooring? Or would that spoil the view?

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

How are you with the noise of half a dozen ducks pecking the weed off the water line at 5 in 't morning? 

I am an early riser, so can kill them, dress them, and get them to market, well before the animal loving dog wankers are out.

Edited by SteamyTea

5 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

It's not very secluded at the moment very busy with hire narrowboats.

There is a boom in narrow boating YouTube bloggers at the moment, have you noticed any passing while talking to their selfie stick?

13 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Paperwork says not as you have to give details of boat, licence number etc.

Ah!

I asked because in the world of coastal marinas there is a hush-hush grey market where non boating marina-side home owners sub let their garden-side mooring.

22 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Paperwork says not as you have to give details of boat, licence number etc.

Just include that in the mooring fee. 

Did you say you are a Civil Servant.

This is why all departments can't make rules that are fully enforceable.

Edited by SteamyTea

• 1 month later...

So the latest on the crash barriers. We have continued and encountered a few issues such as old concrete, water pipes and not to mention the fact the embankment isnt straight so we couldn't just continue in a line. As many of you know we are also in a split level bungalow so we also had to deal with varying heights too.

Much to dad's annoyance we had to curve slightly and dad being dad also had another idea to put in a woodstore opposite our back door for our logburner (it will have anthracite corrugated roofing).

IMG_20210725_085256.thumb.jpg.a31ef9d596a8da27439a074919915674.jpg

IMG_20210725_084759.thumb.jpg.465412505e6aaba9e967145b5a1836f7.jpg

IMG_20210725_084750.thumb.jpg.14e4cbe0ce653af791503c413799752e.jpg

IMG_20210725_084732.thumb.jpg.b2eed62822948c842c3e4945c37c108b.jpg

IMG_20210725_084807.thumb.jpg.f55d166d03f3055d861e4a50bff4eea1.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The planting on the bank looks good.  Are you paving in front?

I moved every plant and bulb by had that was going to be disrupted by the building work. Some others such as foxgloves have just appeared. A lot of the trees are self setting.

The area where it steps up we will just grass as there is no need for it to be a path - paving all 90 metres isn't necessary and would be costly.

The rest of it will be some form of aggregate and porcelain paving to match the patio.

38 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Ooh it looks nice I may have to plant some.

Tbh it's poisonous to kids and animals... potentially lethal I think.

I only posted as it's also known as bunnies heads! ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, all 90metres of fence panels in front of motorway crash barriers - now complete!

The woodstore needs to be finished and the bank will have a few more things planted in it that are being relocated. It's now likely in front of the panels will be grassed for the majority with just parts of path e.g in front of the utility door and parts joining to the patio up to summerhouse mainly because it's cheaper and easier to maintain.

We are really pleased with the result.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Galvanised steel frame? Nice! Did you buy ready made or have commissioned specially to size?

Yep, dad got lengths and then cut them and welded them to build the frame and galvanised sheet mesh, again a sheet which we cut three sides from and fixed into the frame. It's cost a small fortune but dad doesn't do anything by halves.