Bonkers idea or a great idea?

I liked the initial idea of using these as a retaining wall but after seeing what you have done I am not sure it’s justified using such heavy duty materials..... you could have purchase some standard creosote fence post that will last for 30+ years driven them in and attached a top and bottom rail and then attached your panels, would have been quicker, easier and cheaper (or maybe not as I have not done the sums ? ) if you had taken the whole fence line back a meter or two they would have been a great solution. 
If your happy with he result then  that’s all that matters. 
I have some areas that need retaining and will keep my eye out for a job lot of these as I think they would be great at retaining a slope. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

We estimate the total cost will be just over £2500 for the whole 90 metres

Why not just take  them from the A442.

Or come and get the bent ones from the A30, it is holiday week, do many miles of it are now damaged.

Put up a webcam, with sound recording, going to be riot what people speculate about it.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

I liked the initial idea of using these as a retaining wall but after seeing what you have done I am not sure it’s justified using such heavy duty materials..... you could have purchase some standard creosote fence post that will last for 30+ years driven them in and attached a top and bottom rail and then attached your panels, would have been quicker, easier and cheaper (or maybe not as I have not done the sums ? ) if you had taken the whole fence line back a meter or two they would have been a great solution. 
If your happy with he result then  that’s all that matters. 
I have some areas that need retaining and will keep my eye out for a job lot of these as I think they would be great at retaining a slope. 

I think it's hard to show in the picture as we have planted lots but the embankment is very steep and sloping and we did want something more heavy duty. I'll definitely update with the finished product but as we only have dad on Saturdays it may be another 3-4 weekends. They are actually surprisingly easy to install if not just a bit heavy mainly the moving them from where they got dropped off to the other end of the garden but between me, my dad and wife we have managed so far. Concrete in posts every 158 inches and then just lifting and bolting them on. 

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Or come and get the bent ones from the A30, it is holiday week, do many miles of it are now damaged.

The guy we got them off threw in an extra 3 as some were a bit bent. We probably have some from the A30 ?

5 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

guy we got them off threw in an extra 3 as some were a bit bent. We probably have some from the A30

That will be the Redruth to Hayle section then. All the surfers turn off at Newquay, so traffic only does 15 MPH, cause they are all stoned.

• Haha 1

I may be misunderstanding the intention, but if used as  a retaining wall with earth behind, whether vertical or staggered, I would expect the steel will rust. It is galvanised to resist weather wetting, not sitting in wet earth. This is certainly the case with building cladding.

Also check out the strength of the Z posts. There are light gauge ones that are designed to deflect in case of vehicle impact, (like the crumple zone on a car) and may not be strong enough for your wall.

No opinion on the aesthetics.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

There are light gauge ones that are designed to deflect in case of vehicle impact,

Static load as opposed to 1/2 mass X Velocity squared.

16 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

would expect the steel will rust.

Lots of proper marine stuff is galvanised, not sure what it is like if in sea for decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

I would expect the steel will rust. It is galvanised to resist weather wetting, not sitting in wet earth.

+1. As I said earlier in the thread I'd be putting a thick membrane between this and the earth.

• Thanks 1

Ok so about half done and here's a glimpse of what we have done today and what they will look like with the fence panels bracketed on. The wooden posts are fixed onto the barriers/posts, not concreted in rather just for appearance. Really pleased with them and went for feather edge panels over waney lap.

They will be sprayed with creosote or my dad said he does his with old engine oil so I'll opt for this easier job next weekend! 

IMG_20210605_161603.thumb.jpg.d7d40c0219351ddd25df8c3573632f5b.jpg

IMG_20210605_161730.thumb.jpg.429308990664f423e9fc99cb8b642f13.jpg

IMG-20210605-WA0011.thumb.jpg.593266dbdd16a5b837e2c9fd618945a4.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

They will be sprayed with creosote or my dad said he does his with old engine oil so I'll opt for this easier job next weekend

Not sure you should do either of them, not even sure if it is legal to do so, especially as you are so close to a waterway.

13 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Not sure you should do either of them, not even sure if it is legal to do so, especially as you are so close to a waterway.

It's nowhere near the water, opposite but not even close, infact it's the furthest point away from the canal. We have used creosote on our summer house multiple times since we have moved in which is closer to the canal (it was already done by the previous owner and we just continued with it using up what was left in the garage (I do wonder if it is the creosote substitute because it's the stuff seen on sale in shops around here). 

When we pulled down the sheds pre demolition everything was done in creosote - it still smelt of it when we got rid.

I'm presuming dad means the creosote substitute type stuff because he can't get the proper stuff anymore though he use to have it when he did more agricultural work years ago. I remember me and my brother and sister travelling in the back of cattle box from a farm when he was doing some work and us finding it all very funny and complaining of the smell (not of cattle but of creosote - I'm sure this wasn't legal)!

I'll double check though don't want to harm any wildlife as we have ducks that visit every day - our chickens are not impressed.IMG_20210603_095207.thumb.jpg.f80772fc171afa5b536a899de1aa3c82.jpg

47 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

You can get real creosote with a Google search.

Legal depending on how you use it.

Yep mainly agricultural use I believe. I don't want to harm anything though so will look at options. Got to get them all up first but it's looking good, really pleased with it.

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Galv steel would be fine.

Wood concreted in would rot just above the concrete in a depressingly short time.

Yep the wood panels will be just fixed onto the barriers and with brackets so they can be lifted on and off for maintenance/replacement. All fence panels and posts should be on the weekend. And then we just have the other 20 metres to do but now we know what we are doing it shouldn't be too difficult.