Large retaining wall behind house

Sallyc1

Hi Everyone -  I'm hoping to purchase a house that has a large retaining wall directly behind it.  It's the height of the 2 storey house and directly abuts it at the bottom with a gap increasing towards the top.  I think I need it surveying and some guarantees in place about the structure.  I haven't had any luck with the normal surveying companies as it seems a bit beyond everyone's experience.  I think it would be very hard to survey it right at the back as you can't get to it.  But I am no expert at all.  Who do I go to?  Should I just walk away? Any help appreciated. 

Needs to be a structural engineer IMO. Make sure they are “qualified” regarding large retaining walls before engaging. From my perspective if it’s fairly old and has no cracks (or recently filled in cracks) it won’t be going anywhere soon!!!

Edited by joe90

Also find out WHO is responsible for maintaining it?

What about shading?  A structure that high could leave the garden dark and sunless.  Certainly no view in that direction.

And what is at the top of the wall to look down on / fall down on you?

Picture?

The wall on the drive/parking is easy access. It's the wall directly behind the house that's the real issue. Thanks for looking. I'm concerned that someone seems to have wedged some concrete in one of the photos.

IMG-20210420-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20210420-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20210420-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210420-WA0003.jpg