New Table Saw Required

Cpd

hi @Cpd

i'd totally agree with elu or early dewalt, i've had an old elu tgs173 for years, recently bought a dewalt dw3151 site saw and yesterday, a dewalt dw 1251 radial arm at auction. also picked up a dw 1150 surfacer thicknesser at the same time as the site saw. dewalt used to be good, after they bought elu and used all their designs but more recent stuff has not got the life expectancy unless you buy the professional range and even then...

the dw 27400 is an option though not as good as the 3151 mainly the fence clamp.  i recommend http://www.ptctools.co.uk/content.php/page/spare parts

i've bought bits and pieces from them to bring the machines up to scratch, and i've no connection to them other than this, the benefit of elu/dewalt is that there are still loads of spares availability.

of course after buying the site saw i thought i should get a 5kva transformer, wasn't sure a 3kva would be up to full load.

the problem with buying a saw just for 'ripping material down' is that you don't have any other options whereas a more versatile saw can be more beneficial, the 3151 has a canting blade as well as doing crosscutting.

interesting that you have an ls1216 as that is one of the mitre saws i've been looking at, what do you think of it?, i've read good and bad reviews.

@Crofter the fence should only be extended as far as the gullet of the teeth at table level so most saws should stay fairly accurate unless the clamp isn't a tight fit.

simon

Thanks Simon and others,  just in on a coffee stop.... I will follow up your info as well as all the other offerings and try and draw up a short list for me to do a bit more reserch and try to glean information from reviews. The Makita 1216 is  110 and runs of a 3.3kva yellow brick with no problems, it took quite a bit of fiddling around to get it all zeroed in but when that was done its given me no problems, I think i have had it over 4 years now with intermittent but hard use so i cannot give you a full thumbs up as i would only take that from someone who uses one on a daily basis in a professional setting.  It has survived abuse by various volunteers so i would say it is durable. I agree with what you say about getting a saw that is versatile but also like to keep it fairly simple so that i can still understand it and have the ability to fix it.  Have just finished packing up the broken bocsh and will post on Monday, when i have my money back i will be ready to try again. 

Simon, i think that would be perfect but its a long drive in an old fuel guzzling landrover to North hamtonshire from Aygll and back again..... its not even fun driving long distances in it..... Or short distances...... De walt dont seem to have a new model available that is as robust as this now and within my budget. Will keep an eye on it and see if i know a hamtonshire argyll commuter......  Thanks for the heads up. 

Well i packed up the duff saws and sent it on its way back to Amazon, will wait to see the money back in my bank before jumping afain, thanks @Nickfromwales for your input, i will look into the Makita you mentioned but would really like to hear about tried and tested models like the dw3151 that @Simplysimon recomended, but i am really in the sticks and buying new may be the best bet, especially if i can get a good warranty.  Will see what @Construction Channel Have to say ?  Thanks. 

Sorry guys Iv Just got back from Bulgaria and I am in no fit state to do much.

That makita looks to be a decent price but also looks a bit flimsy IMHO. 

we use an older 110v volt version of this for work and i have been very impressed with the build quality,

https://www.its.co.uk/pd/MLT100X-Makita-Table-Saw-with-Stand-_MAKMLT100X.htm?gclid=CjwKEAiA3NTFBRDKheuO6IG43VQSJAA74F77TuGAy8PLMjs1D3OLfEBYj8DmDeTL-fv9PnyiHIiMwBoCY7jw_wcB

I suppose it all depends how much you are planning to move it around.

Edit: Looks like this is the actual model......possibly a bit on the pricey side....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-2704-110v-260mm-Table-Saw-/351926088792?hash=item51f06df458:g:uCQAAOSw2xRYV~j7

• Like 1

the benefit of the 3151 is that in ten years, if looked after it will still sell for £250, the legs come off for transportation though it's a solid saw. if you wish new, then this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELLE-ATIKA-HT315-TABLE-SAW-CIRCULAR-BENCH-240V-3kW-Wood-Saw-/192117951065?hash=item2cbb1f4a59:g:lcsAAOSwInxXMY4v

seems to be a copy of the dewalt which is a copy of the elu! not a bad price for a 3kw saw and delivery as well, make an offer

simon

• 1 month later...
On 26/02/2017 at 08:37, Triassic said:

I got my table saw for free, it was left buy a builder who went bust, I wrote to his company address with a list of everything he'd left on site and gave them notice that if it wasnt removed it would be disposed of. I never got a reply!

Well all good things come to an end. The table saw stopped this morning and having just stripped it down the motor is buggered!

So my free saw is no more!    I'll have to start looking for a replacement.

• 7 months later...

Just putting this one to bed i ended up getting the Dewalt DWE 7491  for £744 inc vat in March and have been really putting it through its paces. It rips down 2 inch timber with agression and is fantastic at fine detailed work to within the mm. its a beast for making noise and would put many off but the power and accuracy  is just superb. The fence in rock solid and its a very  ergonomic machine. Yes an expensive bit of kit but i have NO regrets. 

• Like 1