New Table Saw Required

Cpd

I recently did a lot of research into buying a table saw, my basic criteria was 

Semi portable but not light weight
The ability to cut up to 75mm thick timber
Be able to cut up to 45 degree angles 
Be within sight of £500 
Have a good quality fence and produce accurate cuts
There is more but thats the basics, I purchased a 

Bosch GTS 10 XC Professional Table Saw 240 V
For just over £500 and after setting it up and doing a few trial cuts its motor lost all power and that was that..... I have contacted Amazon and they will take it back, pay for the return postage and give a full refund, i feel like i just dodged a bullet as if this had happened after 30 days  it would have all been a lot more complicated.

I had read on a review that this could happen but put it down to a one off problem and felt that a +£500 pound saw from Bosch would be a serious bit off kit....

So i am feeling a bit deflated after all my researching led me to this.

So do you know off or own a quality table saw that meets this criteria and would you recommend it ?  I would be very grateful for any good recommendations from personal experience. 

How and where i buy it from are now also a concern and maybe i would be best to get such a big item through a local dealer rather than over the internet. 

Thanks for any help. 

I have an Elu flip saw, must have had it at least 20 years, probably more, and it still works fine.

Can be used as a rip or a crosscut so very handy.

I think Elu may have been taken over by DeWalt now but if the quality is still the same certainly one worth looking at.

Get a second hand industrial machine as if you want to rip through (or across) 75mm  timber you will need a couple of Kw at least, few skil type saws will go upto 75mm anyway and when you tilt a table saw (or any saw for that matter) over the depth diminishes so if you want to cut 75mm at 45 degrees you will need about 110mm of blade depth, so at least a 305mm blade I suspect.

Mine's an Elektra Beckum (now Metabo) very powerful but more of a site saw than a carpentry tool. The fence is only fixed at one end and will wobble a mm if pushed, so tolerances are a bit rough. Rips through wood up to 85mm thick. Not sure about new price, mine was £150 second hand.

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I'm all makita for everything except my chopsaw. I bought the Dewalt DWS 780xps shadow line and it's been a beast. 

I'd instantly recommend a Dewalt unit but you've got to love this makita one for the price and 12" blade. 

Im putting that in my wish list. Time to sell the other kidney ?

I hate you...

I didn't need that til I saw the price reduction...

Taking everything on board, thanks for all the sugestions and keep them coming if you have something to add. I think a table saw is a vital piece of kit and many people on this site will either need one at some point or have one and its great to be able to hear people veiws to help with the decision making. 

Just to add, i already have a makita LS1216 compound mitre saw and am personally only looking for a table saw for ripping material down. 

Edited by Cpd
Adding information

Just to add my thoughts, I find an induction motor quieter and user friendly and I have this table saw and it's great for ripping down. As someone else said not mm perfect for cabinet making but it is a site saw not a precision cabinet making cast iron saw that would cost much much more.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-hs120-0-315mm-table-saw-240v/85501

6 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Recently bought a makita planer and it was no good. Returned under warranty after 4 months and refund taken. Went back to Bosch. I'm not loyal to any manufacturer but didn't give me a good impression 

My makita planer is nearly 4 years old, does a 25mm rebate with 4mm cut depth. It's still going flat out and never missed a beat. Things a damn animal. 

Tres bien ??

3 hours ago, Cpd said:

Taking everything on board, thanks for all the sugestions and keep them coming if you have something to add. I think a table saw is a vital piece of kit and many people on this site will either need one at some point or have one and its great to be able to hear people veiws to help with the decision making. 

Just to add, i already have a makita LS1216 compound mitre saw and am personally only looking for a table saw for ripping material down. 

For £350 for the one I linked, what you waiting for? ;) 

:) 

It's not as if it's small enough that she wouldn't notice it in the shed,

Had my bench radial drill for for nearly a year before she noticed, as I had stuff stacked against it when not in use,

But I'd think she'd notice a BFO bench saw, 

All suggestions welcome @Nickfromwales

A week ago I could have said it was for the built in wardrobes, >:(

I may have posted this before on Ebuild, but my former Fred Dibnah style Traction Engine owning neighbour got himself a table saw in 4 easy steps.

1 Get table

2 Get saw - circular

3 Cut slot in table using saw

4 Attach saw under table poking through slot.

Simples.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I may have posted this before on Ebuild, but my former Fred Dibnah style Traction Engine owning neighbour got himself a table saw in 4 easy steps.

1 Get table

2 Get saw - circular

3 Cut slot in table using saw

4 Attach saw under table poking through slot.

Simples.

mmmmm,

there is a slight flaw in that idea,

where do you park the traction engine?    ;)

The somewhat high value of Traction Engines was a surprise to me. It is on a house scale of prices.

http://prestonservices.co.uk/item/ruston-proctor-traction-engine/

I always wondered if there was a business in it, but I suspect that having something made is eye watering. You probably need in house lathes and water cutting.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand