Discs

Hi. Can you suggest a general good cutting disc for my mini grinder. A bit confused by the types. I will be cutting light steel, like mesh , drainage pipes pvc etc.. 

I have the disc shown... it says stone on it... am I correct in saying that is a general one?

i know a diamonds needed for concrete etc.

thanks 

A4D23189-DD3F-48DD-96F0-554F7BFBA6E6.jpeg

I use four main types of discs.

Thin discs with metal written on them for cutting metal.

Fat discs with metal write on them for grinding metal.

Diamond disc for cutting stone brick etc, zipped through a couple bits of plastic with it but not as a rule.

Fat discs with stone marked on them (as in your pic I think) mostly for finishing edges on stone brick slate etc.

For plastic pipe I tend to put in my chop saw, or I hacksaw or I use the plastic pipe shears.

• Like 2

Use 1mm discs for steel - a 5 pack will cost about £6 from Screwfix

As Roys says, keep that stone disc for stone finishing etc - get a diamond disc for brick / concrete.

Almost any disc will cut plastic pipe fine.

Edited by wozza
  • Like 1

PS I have four angle grinders, so I don’t have to keep swopping discs, couple of the grinders were very cheap, and it saves so much hassle.

Be careful with them, wear safety specs and keep guard on, I have opened up my leg with a metal cutting disc as it got nipped and kicked back, I have used angle grinders for many years so it can happen to even the experienced.

• Thanks 1

If I've a fair few bits to cut, I'll cut with thin slitting discs in a 110 or 230 grinder but de-burr the cut parts with a flap disc in a cordless grinder. I even de-burr off cuts ready for the next time "they'll come in handy".