New Roof Porcelain Copings

steveoelliott

So... following some of my previous posts where I have reported having issues with a leak from my roof terrace. I now have a completely new roof with new Castle Composites porcelain copings.

The initial phase of the work was to remove the old concrete copings; upon removal the builder showed me and the cavity below was dry as a bone! The new porcelain copings were then laid on top of a DPC using the recommended PU adhesive. The gaps between copings pointed with external grade grout and the underside sealed to the wall with external silicon sealer. I think in hindsight, I would have felt more comfortable sticking to traditional thick concrete copings bedded on a thick bed of mortar + DPC and then pointed with mortar. However, I'd like to hope that the PU adhesive, grout and DPC will keep the cavity below dry.

In terms of the roof membrane... The old was removed and revealed two pretty substantial leaks due to weld failures on the up stands. I was relieved to have found something. Only shame is I didn't take a picture of this when they showed me. The guy also checked it had a vapor control layer before proceeding. New roof laid and new outlet. The guy that did my copings then installed lead saddle on the parapet abutments and flashing over the membrane.

I will soon get the slabs back down once it proves itself.

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

Edited by steveoelliott

6 minutes ago, nod said:

It looks like a really neat job 

Shame to cover it with slabs 

I want to use it as a terrace... I've got the old promenade slabs to go back... I looked at alternatives but they were costly and I've got these to hand already together with the supports.

My main concern is the copings letter water in... I think I drove the builder stir crazy with my neurosis.

Edited by steveoelliott

Fingers crossed...

Even though there is a DPC I think I’d have felt more comfortable with bed of mortar and pointing rather than a PU adhesive  to stick them down, external grout between the stones and a bead of silicon between top of bricks and stones.

I’m assured by the folks that did it all will be fine...