Soakaway crate orientation

I am creating a 0.8 cubic metre soakaway using two aquavoid  100mmx1000mmx400mm crates.

I can avoid digging an extra 200mm down if I orientate them like this:

1224E9BF-EA88-43A7-BBD6-22BF09EB4589.jpeg.0a642b17648b3384bf909cea498c9f73.jpeg

There are no access points at the sides so I’d have to bore through, but is the above any different from an efficiency point of view? I think my back would prefer to dig wider opposed to deeper :D

The crates have fluted sections throughout which would be vertical in that application for what’s its worth.

C79FCCCB-EC9F-4733-82F2-C263D171E00B.jpeg.877e0702ae2e1bf8acce8858430b1795.jpeg

Two issues spring to mind:

1 - strength of the crate is intended in the correct orientation (and adding extra holes won't help)

2 - if the soffit level is too high it'll reduce the storage capacity

May not be a problem but potentially is. Phoning the manufacturer is usually the safest  way. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, George said:

Two issues spring to mind:

1 - strength of the crate is intended in the correct orientation (and adding extra holes won't help)

2 - if the soffit level is too high it'll reduce the storage capacity

May not be a problem but potentially is. Phoning the manufacturer is usually the safest  way. 

Good shout. Found out they are actually called Aquacrate - which are manufactured by Pennine. Gave them a call and they clarified that the cones are for strength and the sides can be drilled for an inlet as and where required.