Velux vs Fakro Rooflight?

ashthekid

For long lasting quality and superior finish who is the best? I’ve heard Keylite have to be thrown into the mix as well. I’ve researched this a lot online and speaking to various people with very mixed results.

From what I gather(not 100% if this is all true or not though) Velux holds the market with approx 60% with Fakro and Keylite taking around 10%. I gather Velux used to have the patent(or exclusivity at least) on various aspects of their design and build but when a few of these expired Fakro and Keylite were created and decided to copy and create their own versions. It sounds like Velux’s handle and catch opening system is one of the last remaining patents they have left and the best one on the market.

Both manufacture Conservation rooflights with the vertical glazing bars which is what I was specifically after but only Fakro do them in triple glazing option annoyingly. 

I’ve read that Fakro are far superior and more expensive but then I’ve read that Velux are now a lot more expensive and the much better luxury end product. Which is it?

Both provide pretty decent warranty’s approx 10 years. 

I’ve read that both have issues with electrics, especially Velux. But they use slightly different technology with Fakro using Z Wave which can be more reliable for multiple windows on one remote etc. 

I guess my question is, based on your own experience, who is the best one to go with?

I need conservation style rooflights with triple glazing and good thermal and acoustic insulation as well as electric opening/closing.
Velux do what they call “Best Experience”(67 pane) triple glazing option for optimum thermal and noise reduction which is perfect. This doesn’t come in conservation style so I would have to add the glazing bars.

Fakro do a P5 triple glazed conservation window at a slightly lower price.

I cannot decide which to go for to be honest but want the one which going to last the longest and not have any issues or problems. 

I've a velux and keylight in my house but researched Fakro at the time. I've also had various CPD's by all these companies. I've installed them all at various times in different projects I've worked on but only once installed the conservation version so don't know as much about these. All the knowledge is about 18 months old so newer stuff may exist or have changed.

What I've found in summary:

• For the electrics velux have their own control panel. This actually has a benefit in that the the Velux technical department can answer questions and help. Keylight just use a control panel by an outside manufacture. I've never used Fakro electric rooflights that I can think of (maybe a standalone AOV). On one university project I installed 20 odd Keylight rooflights and had loads of problems connecting these back to the BMS. They got it to work in the end but it was difficult.
  • Velux have a 5 layers of glass Passive House version but that needs it's own separate mortgage and only comes in one or limited sizes.
  • The Velux and Keylight triple glazed are very similar however you can get a sound reducing glazing for Velux. This adds cost but also improves the u-value beyond what Keylight can achieve and what I went for in my own house.
  • The electric Keylight roof windows are cheaper than the electric Velux rooflights which is why I've an electric Keylight.
  • The thermo foam perimeter strip on Keylight rooflights is a bit of a gimmick and marketing pitch. A squirt of expanding foam finished with airtight tape is better in practice. 
  • In tripple glazed they're all heavy. The Keylight Flick-fit brackets help but it's still a two person job on the larger ones.
  • In generally Fakro are more expensive (based in Ireland, not sure if this is the same in the UK).
  • Not relevant but Fakro make excellent loft ladders.

In short the differences are minor and I don't think you'll go far wrong with any of them.

Edited by Dudda
  • Like 3

I've just had a look at Keylite and see they do an Integral blind model in double glazing but that the u-values (1.0 W/mk2) is the same as the Velux Integra 3G, with costs about the same and negating the need to buy and fit blinds to the Velux model. Am I missing anything?

4 hours ago, eandg said:

I've just had a look at Keylite and see they do an Integral blind model in double glazing but that the u-values (1.0 W/mk2) is the same as the Velux Integra 3G, with costs about the same and negating the need to buy and fit blinds to the Velux model. Am I missing anything?

Are you sure that’s definitely 3G?

Keylite work out a lot more whenever I add on 3G, electrics & conservation style but seems a poorer quality product from an aesthetic & U-Value point of view. 

2 minutes ago, ashthekid said:

Are you sure that’s definitely 3G?

Keylite work out a lot more whenever I add on 3G, electrics & conservation style but seems a poorer quality product from an aesthetic & U-Value point of view. 

The Keylite was 2G but appears to have the same u-values as the 3G Velux (as below)

image.png.93af061f20102d9471cf1a6b302d02ca.png

This is the blurb for the 3G Velux:

image.png.840aedf6b316d1fe5d853021a67e8204.png