(Retrospective) new build structural warranty - lender issues

Hi all,

First time posting so apologies if I’m the wrong place. 

Long story short, I am about to purchase a new build semi-detached property that was built/completed about 2 years ago (Greater London). The developer/seller kept onto the property and rented it until today. BuildZone was recently engaged by the developer/seller to provide a 10yr structural warranty. 

The warranty certificate was recently issued, which was passed on to Barclays (our Lender) who had requested this before extending a mortgage offer. Barclays/underwriter came back saying the application was rejected based on the fact the warranty was done retrospectively (!) and won’t entertain it.

Bizarrely no where in the warranty cover note does it say that the diligence was undertaken retrospectively. The surveyor has merely deciphered this from the delay in it getting issued and the fact the cover was only issued very recently and it is clear the build was complete a couple of years ago. 

Our mortgage broker has reached out to NatWest and Halifax opportunistically to get their appetite but alas they have outright refused to deal with so called “retrospective” structural warranties.

Anyone aware of lenders that deal with these?

Seems counterintuitive to me that these above mentioned lenders are on the CML list of approved lenders for BuildZone but that they apply some subjectivity to what type of warranty it is. Either the cover is there or it isn’t...  

I can’t see a market for these types of warranties if this is the case! Just for cash buyers!?

thank you!

• 1 year later...
On 16/04/2021 at 07:39, Sicher said:

Hi all,

First time posting so apologies if I’m the wrong place. 

Long story short, I am about to purchase a new build semi-detached property that was built/completed about 2 years ago (Greater London). The developer/seller kept onto the property and rented it until today. BuildZone was recently engaged by the developer/seller to provide a 10yr structural warranty. 

The warranty certificate was recently issued, which was passed on to Barclays (our Lender) who had requested this before extending a mortgage offer. Barclays/underwriter came back saying the application was rejected based on the fact the warranty was done retrospectively (!) and won’t entertain it.

Bizarrely no where in the warranty cover note does it say that the diligence was undertaken retrospectively. The surveyor has merely deciphered this from the delay in it getting issued and the fact the cover was only issued very recently and it is clear the build was complete a couple of years ago. 

Our mortgage broker has reached out to NatWest and Halifax opportunistically to get their appetite but alas they have outright refused to deal with so called “retrospective” structural warranties.

Anyone aware of lenders that deal with these?

Seems counterintuitive to me that these above mentioned lenders are on the CML list of approved lenders for BuildZone but that they apply some subjectivity to what type of warranty it is. Either the cover is there or it isn’t...  

I can’t see a market for these types of warranties if this is the case! Just for cash buyers!?

thank you!

Hello! Did you find out any more about this?