Which way up is your decking?

Temp

Wales Online: Your decking is upside down and the grooves are not there for grip, experts reveal...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/your-decking-upside-down-grooves-20389098

"Every decking timber manufacturer will tell you: the proper way to install a board is ridge side down.

"The ridges, they say, were designed to let air circulate underneath the boards. This, according to them, prevents the buildup of moisture and, consequently, of mould.

"The ridges are not there to keep you from slipping and sliding around your deck. Nor are they intended to make your deck look nice."

• Like 1

Mine have several grooves nicely shaped on the top for grip and water to run off,. and on the underside have 3 roughly machine not pretty grooves.

If the joker that wrote that article is correct then the non slip material on my ramp would end up underneath.

The grooves are not for water run off. They are called Kerf cuts and are there to stop the planks cupping. You see this a lot on old timber ships etc, the deck boards have kerf cuts on the underside to stop the edges curling up.

Many manufacturers now make double sided boards and some with anti slip material, obviously the anti-slip is intended to go on the top. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have Ipe decking and it is smooth both sides.  No slipping.  Very dense timber that sinks in water.  Extremely durable and also very difficult to burn.

I get the impression it is not really eco friendly though.

You dont need kerf`s under boards like that, they will never curl up at the edges