Cheaper decoupling Mat

Pocster

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Yep, thats what it costs. GetcherWalletOutYouTightWalkOnGlazingExpert.

Bugs me .

Decoupling mat , glue , tile adhesive , grout - cost more than the (expletive deleted)ing tiles !!

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

Bugs me .

Decoupling mat , glue , tile adhesive , grout - cost more than the (expletive deleted)ing tiles !!

Is this bathrooms / wet rooms?  (if so 150 square metres????)

If it is NOT bathrooms then the need for a decoupling mat shows you have the wrong floor material.  Change the floor material to e.g. plywood.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is this bathrooms / wet rooms?  (if so 150 square metres????)

If it is NOT bathrooms then the need for a decoupling mat shows you have the wrong floor material.  Change the floor material to e.g. plywood.

No ; just tiling on screed - not wet rooms / bathrooms . Still need to ‘ de couple ‘ ..

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Why ...?? Where are you going to get significant differential expansion to justify it ..? 

The screed has cracked across doorways for example . Screed was laid months ago ; cracks happened many months after that . I assumed de coupling mat should really be used in all situations.

Better to be safe than sorry ?

Edited by pocster

17 minutes ago, nod said:

Yes always at the doorways 

It’s worth putting a a screed expansion in each doorway 

I was going to de couple the entire floor and put expansion strips in ( or near ) to doorways . I thought this was the bolts n braces approach .

12 minutes ago, pocster said:

I was going to de couple the entire floor and put expansion strips in ( or near ) to doorways . I thought this was the bolts n braces approach .

I used the mat to cover my entire concrete slab just in case, just peace of mind really

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pocster said:

You don’t need anything to fancy 

A clear 10 mil gap around the perimeter is a must 

image.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nod said:

You don’t need anything to fancy 

A clear 10 mil gap around the perimeter is a must 

image.jpg

Sure . But what if my tile grout line ( the expansion strip ) doesn’t line up in the doorway ? . Just ignore it ? . Or just put the expansion strip as near as possible to the doorway ? 

51 minutes ago, pocster said:

Sure . But what if my tile grout line ( the expansion strip ) doesn’t line up in the doorway ? . Just ignore it ? . Or just put the expansion strip as near as possible to the doorway ? 

I do not have expansion strips of any kind in my doorways. I have laid 1.2m x 1.2m tiles throughout my ground floor onto  decoupling membrane on a concrete slab and have had no problems and imo looks better than putting thin strips in which would have spoilt the look of my large tiles

16185581866033637811629389138775.jpg

Edited by Pete
Add photo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I do not have expansion strips of any kind in my doorways. I have laid 1.2m x 1.2m tiles throughout my ground floor onto  decoupling membrane on a concrete slab and have had no problems and imo looks better than putting thin strips in which would have spoilt the look of my large tiles

16185581866033637811629389138775.jpg

I’m tempted to only put an expansion strip in a doorway only when there’s a change of tile flooring . So it’s a natural break and you won’t even notice it as the tiles have changed .

30 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’m tempted to only put an expansion strip in a doorway only when there’s a change of tile flooring . So it’s a natural break and you won’t even notice it as the tiles have changed .

Would be ok but I did not even do that in the two bathrooms as I had used the mat throughout

• Like 1

If its running relatively low flow temp, and its tiles, they should heat up and cool down at pretty much the same rate, so the only thing I would be doing here is leaving a 6mm-8mm gap all around the perimeters and making sure they are NOT grouted. Pump them full of a dirt cheap silicone to prevent inadvertently filling them up while grouting the main areas.

Priming and making sure the screed is free from dust / other contamination will be crucial. 

If your bum-hole is wobbling, put a mat down.   

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If its running relatively low flow temp, and its tiles, they should heat up and cool down at pretty much the same rate, so the only thing I would be doing here is leaving a 6mm-8mm gap all around the perimeters and making sure they are NOT grouted. Pump them full of a dirt cheap silicone to prevent inadvertently filling them up while grouting the main areas.

Priming and making sure the screed is free from dust / other contamination will be crucial. 

If your bum-hole is wobbling, put a mat down.   

Left the gap as you suggest which was covered by the skirting. Did not bother with silicone to save money!! (Tight us northerners!)

• Like 1