Dekton worktop

Mandana

Hello

Has anyone installed Dekton worktops in their kitchens? Which one did you go for, and are you happy with it?

We’ve heard really good things about it and want to check it’s worth the extra £££s before splashing out. 

Thanks!

What they dont tell you about porcelain worktops - 

Most arent through coloured so the finish you see on the surface isnt what you see on the front edge.

Drainer grooves if required for the same reason could be a completely different colour and often looks unsightly.

The material is extremely brittle and virtually impossible to repair should chips appear.

Other than that, its sound. To me, its not really worth the spend unless there is a colour/finish you cant find elsewhere.

Thanks both. Not having the colour through to the edge was an issue for me too ... but now they have coloured edges so it’s no longer applicable. At least that what we’ve been told. 

The alternatives are quartz or corian and we’ve not been able to find one in either product we like. 

Edited by Mandana

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Please don't get Corian.  Stains like a bastard and you can only get the stain out by sanding.  Just don't.

Silestone / quartz stuff is loads better.

Sorry, my bad. Our choices are Dekton, quartz and silestone. Didn’t mean corian!

I’ve just remembered a worktop we saw at a showroom over a year ago and looked it up. It’s marble. Have messaged the company as it’s really nice. 

29 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Please don't get Corian.  Stains like a bastard and you can only get the stain out by sanding.  Just don't.

Silestone / quartz stuff is loads better.

Have to disagree with you there, we have corian, never had any problems with stains, I’m not the tidiest cook and have spilt lots of things including beetroot and it’s cleaned off no problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

Have to disagree with you there, we have corian, never had any problems with stains, I’m not the tidiest cook and have spilt lots of things including beetroot and it’s cleaned off no problem.

We had corian worktop one time and never had any staining issues either. The advantage was it is very light and as it was in a motorhome, weight was an issue. 

• Like 1

We've had a white (with light speckle) Dekton worktop and splash back for two years. Allowed us to have a relatively thin worktop, and doesn't seem to stain despite my "enthusiastic" cooking: a wipe down and polish with a fine e-cloth keep it looking good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Install Dekton / Neolith ceramic if you want that's look.

I installed the 12mm white 'zenith' Dekton because of the sharp 12mm look, a mug fell from the top cabinet and cracked the work top, getting that replaced via home insurance but the £400 excess stings.

I would install the 20mm next time. I can't replace the 12mm with 20mm as all sight lines follow the 12mm profile, it would cost too much, its cheaper to move all plates and glasses to a lower drawer

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jayroc2k said:

Install Dekton / Neolith ceramic if you want that's look.

I installed the 12mm white 'zenith' Dekton because of the sharp 12mm look, a mug fell from the top cabinet and cracked the work top, getting that replaced via home insurance but the £400 excess stings.

I would install the 20mm next time. I can't replace the 12mm with 20mm as all sight lines follow the 12mm profile, it would cost too much, its cheaper to move all plates and glasses to a lower drawer

Oh yikes ? That’s not good news. Sorry to hear that. 

We went to a showroom on Friday and still love the Dekton. Thanks for the warning about thicknesses. We would have preferred 30mm over 20mm so will definitely go for a the 20. 

Hope your replacement doesn’t cause too many issues. 

Just thinking about it - the place we went to guarantee Dekton for 20 years. Did you get a guarantee with your installation?