Straining at the leash to get started...

Modernista

.....but don't even own the place yet! And so our planning application is yet to come.

I've come across this forum a few times when I've been googling for diy answers but now, after an impulse buy, (how many times do you hear that?) we're soon to own a rather neglected, sixties-era, individual architect designed house in Scotland (kind-of modernist style) that needs a heap of work. I'll post pictures once we own it in a couple of months but don't want to jinx things meantime. 

It's an unusual building and the roof is formed from square section corrugated steel - in fact it was me looking at the postings about such things in this forum that led me to sign up.

Look forward to exchanging info with fellow contributors. One of our first jobs (subject to pp) will be to create a permeable driveway via a fairly steep slope. There's no decent vehicle access presently. It will probably need curves / dogleg plan to get a suitable gradient. It's only around 30m in straight line distance to the kerb but the gradient and curves will probably make that more like 40 or 50m of drive. We've no real idea of costs for that so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had to deal with anything similar or signposting to good information sources.

Thanks.

Hello Modernista.

Sounds very interesting. Yes you will have a lot to do to upgrade insulation if that is what you intend. Also, you may have a bit of cold formed steel supporting the roof for example, maybe a steel frame in there.

Plenty to explore and get your head around.

Look forward to seeing some photos in a couple of months.

Thanks all for the friendly welcome - more info when I have it. Yes, I need to get the right terminology for the box profile - these profiles seem to have numbers related to the profile sizes like 32 x 1000 but I haven't measured ours yet. We certainly will have to upgrade the insulation - there is some token insulation from what I've seen but nothing close to present standards. From a quick look in the attic during viewing there may be some metal purlins for the box profile sheets but the main structural roof frame is a kind-of old-style bolted and tooth connection attic truss, which is helpful in terms of open space.