Bpc upgrades - would you recommend?

Looking at my quote the difference between the standard radial ducting kit and the premium one is £559. It also includes optional extras for a wall mounted controller (£53) and 5x boost switches (at £30 a pop). Any thoughts on whether paying for the upgrades and extras are worth it?

50 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

the expensive ducting is slightly more flexible

Do you need a controller or is your unit going to be easily-accessible?

Do you require manual boost-request switches?

Unit will be in the loft. Not really a problem getting to it. I've no idea what manual boost does it when it'd be required?

4 minutes ago, eandg said:

I've no idea what manual boost does it when it'd be required?

I don’t have any but some here do, for example one in the kitchen will enable you to select boost in case of burnt toast!!! Or one in the bathroom when having a shower instead of waiting fir the humidistat to kick in (if you have one).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

does the unit have a humidistat?

You might need a means to put it into boost mode after a shower or a serious toilet episode.

It has "internal humidity control" if that's the same thing...

We didn't use manual boost switches but got the sparky to wire up the MVHR to the same trigger (bathroom PIRs / light switches) that activate the hot return pump.

Works quite well - the Sentinel Kinetic has a variety of ways to trigger boost electrically as well as it's own internal humidity sensor.

It also has a control /display panel that can be wall mounted away from the unit (wired connection) so we have that in the utility and can trigger a manual boost or purge from there.

We did look into incorporating the boost for cooker hood but the only way would have been to put a current detecting clamp on the hood feed so we decided to live with it and have never bothered.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming it's a Vent Axia unit....

- I got the wired controller with cable new on eBay for £20

- No wired boost switches.... the shower relies on the in-built humidistat, and I hooked up a variable input voltage relay to the cooker extractor motor side, and used one of the volt-free connections on the main unit

When I did mine 2 years ago they only did 1 type of pipe (red), which seems to be the premium one now!

Also I'd recommend getting a silencer for the extract side of the system, before the MHRV unit.  I found it quietened down the vents to near silence.... it also provided another convenient flexible joint!

• Like 1