Is there any downside of an extra slim concealed cistern?

I need some concealed cisterns and frames for wall hung toilets. I'm considering the Geberit Duofix with 8cm Sigma cistern shown below, as if I understand the product correctly, this will enable me to mount my wall hung toilet onto a thinner stud wall. Is there any disadvantage to this? Compared to the deeper 12cm version, the extra 4cm of space in the bathroom will come in handy, but at what cost? The waste pipe would  go through the floor and then have to travel horizonally about 170cm to get to an external wall where it will connect with the main sewage pipe. I have posi joists so I'm hoping it won't be too tricky.

image.png.f7e6f5e56606ec157c4b8cc6caf92a8a.png

Edited by Adsibob

37 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

As I understand it, the answer is no.  We have fitted two ;  excellent video support (YouTube),  good instruction booklet. Hell even @pocster can fit them ...?

That’s good to know @ToughButterCup. I was going to get one, but avoided it as was convinced there should be a catch as given one of  the main points of a wall hung pan is to save space, you’d think everybody would want them as slim as possible.

Was the one you bought marketed as being sound insulated?

Edited by hendriQ

Slimline cisterns in thin walls are fine, wall hung pans and thin walls can cause wall flex ... broken tiles and mirrors etc. If the cistern+pan are close to a corner then its much easier to keep the wall stable. A couple of times ive had to double stud either side of the frame

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hendriQ said:

Was the one you bought marketed as being sound insulated?

No - in relation to sound from the cistern.  Because the cistern is built in behind a tiled wall, it's silent.

Even Geberit haven't come up with an answer to other Bathroom sound sources. Yet. I'm told they're working on it. Give the Swiss a couple of years, they'll have those  sorted.

• 2 years later...

I am thinking of this very same Geberit Duofix for wall hung pan with 8cm cistern as that's all the room we have.

We also have an issue that the wall is very short - there will be very little space to the left where we have another wall joining. Do these frames have any fittings that require you to use eg a screwdriver from the left or right of the frame or do the fittings go back into the wall and maybe down into the concrete floor?

Our 110mm waste comes up from the floor so presumably we would need to have this totally central in the wall space to make sure it was hidden when each side of the wall is sheeted?

2 hours ago, markharro said:

I am thinking of this very same Geberit Duofix for wall hung pan with 8cm cistern as that's all the room we have.

We also have an issue that the wall is very short - there will be very little space to the left where we have another wall joining. Do these frames have any fittings that require you to use eg a screwdriver from the left or right of the frame or do the fittings go back into the wall and maybe down into the concrete floor?

Our 110mm waste comes up from the floor so presumably we would need to have this totally central in the wall space to make sure it was hidden when each side of the wall is sheeted?

Check the installation instructions. The answer to the last question appears to be NO for some of their frames at least..See..

Title says 2x4 wall but the video shows a 2x6 wall...

Thanks - I have to say though that its a little confusing - I dont think the videos are showing the slimline 8cm cistern version. It looks from this page https://catalog.geberit.co.uk/en-GB/Geberit-Duofix-element-for-wall-hung-WC,-114-cm,-with-Sigma-concealed-cistern-8-cm/PRO_2712522.html

that the waste pipe centre is 50mm back from the face of the studs so central in a 100mm stud? 

Does anyone though have a phone number for Geberit UK so I can call them to confirm?