Conservation Area Glazing Bars on Velux Triple Glazed

ashthekid

Hi,

I'm looking at fitting SK06 triple glazed Velux roof light windows into my project which is within a conservation area so I'm having to put some glazing bars onto them.

However I've just discovered that the glazing bars cannot be attached to any of their triple glazed windows but only the double glazed versions which is really annoying as I'll lose all the thermal and acoustic protection I would have got with the triple glazing. Is that true? It doesn't say that on the Velux window or any other suppliers online.

Does anyone know of any other brand glazing bars or methods to create the conservation window style required?

It looks like it's screwed at each end.

Velux say it will invalidate the warranty if it's put on a window they have stipulated it is not intended for as at it has screws then it would be pretty obvious you've tried to fix with screws.

But I must admit, from doing a little more research, I don't see why I can't just glue these on with a special glazing adhesive. It doesn't say what material it is exactly but my guess is it's metal. I could maybe cut the screw parts off each end to make it work.

Very frustrating Velux don't just supply a slightly modified version for their triple glazed range.

This is the only image I can find of the Velux glazing bar online.

velux-glazing-bar.jpg

Edited by ashthekid

Instructions for fitting one here.

Definitely not glued.

It refers to dimpling at the edge which I guess is why this won't fit onto a triple glazed version. Surely just adding a little spacer behind this will allow it to fit on and be screwed neatly and easily?

velux-glazing-bar2.thumb.jpg.e1fbef65f8052f278e00300bb67a5ee0.jpg

My wooden windows have stuck on glazing bars (double sided tape) and they look really good. The only problem with stick on, to a velux is the water/rain will not be able to run off Past the bar ?‍♂️

The conservation officer stipulated no fewer than 12 aesthetic recommendations for our application.... From no PV panels or PVC windows, real stone instead of stick on, cast iron rainware, etc etc. Our architect rebutted every single one of them. Try and find out how bothered they are about these.

1 hour ago, ashthekid said:

Is there anything obvious to suggest this wouldn't be allowed in a conservation area?

Just ask the BCO! I still say a stick on glazing bar (if the BCO insists on them) perhaps a drop of CT1 each end rather than screws (if Velux says it invalidates their warranty). Thing is, no one will get that close to notice.