Window fitting costs

eandg

Not sure where to start with getting quotes from fitters (any recommendations for fitters in west central Scotland welcome) for 11 windows totalling 25.66m2, three doorsets (including front door with side panelling, sliding door and rear door) totalling 12.84m2. Any ballpark estimates - I've had one quote so far provided by a potential supplier for more than £5k, not including any plant required and ancillaries, which instinctively sound very expensive?

Are you having a full finish.. by that I mean are they doing a full timber finish or are they just fitting a window into a hole in a kit and leaving it at that?

Also, what kind of doors? Are they bifold or sliding / plastic or aluminium? How big are the doors? Some big sliding door glass can take four folk to fit as the glass is heavy and expensive.

4 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

Are you having a full finish.. by that I mean are they doing a full timber finish or are they just fitting a window into a hole in a kit and leaving it at that?

Also, what kind of doors? Are they bifold or sliding / plastic or aluminium? How big are the doors? Some big sliding door glass can take four folk to fit as the glass is heavy and expensive.

Just fitting. Joiners will do internal reveals etc. Front and rear doors standard sizes, sliders 3000x2100. 3G aluclad. 

1 hour ago, jamieled said:

Is there any reason you're not asking the joiners to do it?

I thought it was separate trades. I've got a partitioning firm doing some framing then cabinet makers lined up for the internal reveals - haven't yet spoke to a finishing joiner as that's a way down the line at hanging doors (I think!). 

One joiner to fit everything, otherwise the window fitter will fit stuff and then the next guy will complain about what he did and so on.

joiner all day long.

and give them a spec of what you want done, so it’s fitted the way you want, so that way no arguments later.

I am paying £600 (hopefully this Friday) to have 4 windows and a 3M sliding patio door set fitted.

That's just to fit the windows in the frame, I will be detailing inside (plasterboard) and outside (timber cladding)

It's more because it's a 3 / 4 man job to lift them, particularly the patio door set, that I am paying labour to do this rather than DIY.

Ground floor, my own scaffold set up outside.

Between £250 and £350 per man per day is the going rate. Any joiner can install a window, however, not always to the manufacturers specifications. That's when arguments about install v's product occur, if anything goes wrong. 

3 hours ago, eandg said:

I thought it was separate trades. I've got a partitioning firm doing some framing then cabinet makers lined up for the internal reveals - haven't yet spoke to a finishing joiner as that's a way down the line at hanging doors (I think!). 

Think you’re complicating things for yourself, roughing joiners can usually do kit erection, window fitting and partitioning plasterboarding etc and finishing joiners for all your doors , skirting , reveals etc 

7 hours ago, craig said:

Any joiner can install a window, however, not always to the manufacturers specifications. That's when arguments about install v's product occur, if anything goes wrong. 

I’m getting the manufacturer to fit for this exact reason. I’ve no doubt I could find someone to do it cheaper but our windows are a high % of our total build costs (approx 120m2 of 3G glass iirc) and I only want a single point of contact for the purchase, delivery, installation and support. I’m happy to pay that premium to reduce the risk on this big ticket item. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, recoveringbuilder said:

Think you’re complicating things for yourself, roughing joiners can usually do kit erection, window fitting and partitioning plasterboarding etc and finishing joiners for all your doors , skirting , reveals etc 

I've asked the partitioning firm (which employs roughing joiners) - they're doing boarding and framing. The current plan is for the cabinet makers who will do the window reveals and potentially stairs and kitchen units to fit them. Then I guess we'd need another finishing joiner for doors, skirting etc. Will look at streamlining!

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That big slider was a good 4 man lift and we had the help of a friend plus me to give some grunt.

Could you decouple it or was it the whole thing?

Is it lift and slide operation and is it smooth / easy operation?

10 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Could you decouple it or was it the whole thing?

Is it lift and slide operation and is it smooth / easy operation?

We removed the slider to reduce the weight for install, and just the fixed pane and frame was heavy enough.  Then lifted the slider back in.

It's lift and slide, turning the handle lifts it up onto the rollers and it slides easily but it is a big lump of window.  Just shy of 3M wide so the sliding pane is probably about 1.4M wide and 2.1M high triple glazed.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We removed the slider to reduce the weight for install, and just the fixed pane and frame was heavy enough.  Then lifted the slider back in.

It's lift and slide, turning the handle lifts it up onto the rollers and it slides easily but it is a big lump of window.  Just shy of 3M wide so the sliding pane is probably about 1.4M wide and 2.1M high triple glazed.

Can I ask who manufactured the slider and what system is used for the framing?

59 minutes ago, Bonner said:

They look great, are they Alu-clad? What colour please, inside and out?

Yes Ali clad, Rationel Aura Plus.  What they call Pebble Grey, same colour inside and out. I can look up the RAL number if you need.

• Thanks 1