Hello everyone

glasslady

Hello Everyone,

I am completely new to forums so will make mistakes there for sure.  Its taken me ages just to get to this bit.

I am a stained glass artist, been making windows for ages and more recently glass art with concrete, so I am happy with that side of buildings.

I am about to self build a new studio for myself and need to learn what to do.  I have had ridiculous quotes from builders for over 30k so there has to be a cheaper alternative.  Luckily for me I found this site and am looking forward to reading all the advice you have to offer.

Welcome ..!!

So the industry is busy at the moment so “silly quotes” may be that trades don’t want the work, or you’re in a very expensive part of the country. 

What sort of size studio are we talking ..?? Do you have plans ..??

• Like 1

Hello Peter,

I do have planning as we are in an AONB, but I kept it small to get planning and avoid building control.

Its 8.3 x 3m  about 28 x 10 feet.  Not very big.  Hope that helps?  I have just posted in another part of the forum asking rookie questions?

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Welcome ..!!

So the industry is busy at the moment so “silly quotes” may be that trades don’t want the work, or you’re in a very expensive part of the country. 

What sort of size studio are we talking ..?? Do you have plans ..??

Okay, just learnt this bit I answered without doing this first - sorry

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

You must be pretty practical (though I know someone that does stain glass work who isn't at all).

Have you considered building it yourself. It is just a wind and water tight box, with a few holes in it after all.

I am, I cannot pay out that much money, wish I had it to spend.  You are right it is just a box full of holes?