Doorbell

So !

doorbird ?

ring ?

UniFi g4 ?

Really want poe . No monthly subscription cack ( but would compromise on that ) .But need to access the image for my own HA . Don’t want laggy / useless 2 way comms ( appreciate when I’m remote that could happen , but not on Lan surely ) .

Want to tell people to (expletive deleted) off no matter in the world where I am .

BTW “ doorbird “ isn’t a prostitute ... 

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

I've a Nest Doorbell and have it on the free version so not paying a subscription.

We have standard bells so no lag with them. 2-3 second average lag with the phone notification but by the time you've the phone unlocked and opened the app you'd have answered the door. 

My parents are Magpies and wanted a Nest after seeing mine so fitted one for them. They've the subscription and it has benefits but not enough for me to bother paying. If I'd more cameras (which I intend to get in time) I'd get a subscription.

• Thanks 1

We have a Ring doorbell.
Subscription is optional and allows you to review captured video yonks afterwards, I don’t recall how long yonks is. If you don’t pay, you can’t.

When the building was unoccupied the Ring gave fantastic peace of mind, a proper little CCTV experience,

You don’t have to wait for someone to press the bell, we have a footpath running past the property and the Ring ‘wakes up’ and records for a minute every time someone walks past, it also records the audio (yes. I know.) 

It also picks up the rabbits eating the flowers by the front door. 

All of these settings can be adjusted. 

I have the Amcrest doorbell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amcrest-SmartHome-Doorbell-Weatherproof-Wide-Angle/dp/B0844YVN5M

It's wifi rather than PoE, alas, but otherwise a pretty reliable option. I have it wired via a 25ohm resistor dummy load to a digital input on loxone, which triggers the old 60s door chime (literally the only visible part of our house we retained)

It has an optional cloud recording service that is tolerably usable, 1 year free trial is useful while I get the real setup a bit more polished. I'm streaming from it to BlueIris, which transcodes and can provide composite views for Home assistant or Loxone app or pop up on the living room TV or whatever

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Russdl said:

We have a Ring doorbell.
Subscription is optional and allows you to review captured video yonks afterwards, I don’t recall how long yonks is. If you don’t pay, you can’t.

When the building was unoccupied the Ring gave fantastic peace of mind, a proper little CCTV experience,

You don’t have to wait for someone to press the bell, we have a footpath running past the property and the Ring ‘wakes up’ and records for a minute every time someone walks past, it also records the audio (yes. I know.) 

It also picks up the rabbits eating the flowers by the front door. 

All of these settings can be adjusted. 

Is there much lag ? From someone pushing the button and you getting a notification? . Can you have 2 way chat ok or is that unusable ?. Ring video upload though is proprietary- so no getting the image yourself ?

1 hour ago, joth said:

I have the Amcrest doorbell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amcrest-SmartHome-Doorbell-Weatherproof-Wide-Angle/dp/B0844YVN5M

It's wifi rather than PoE, alas, but otherwise a pretty reliable option. I have it wired via a 25ohm resistor dummy load to a digital input on loxone, which triggers the old 60s door chime (literally the only visible part of our house we retained)

It has an optional cloud recording service that is tolerably usable, 1 year free trial is useful while I get the real setup a bit more polished. I'm streaming from it to BlueIris, which transcodes and can provide composite views for Home assistant or Loxone app or pop up on the living room TV or whatever

Yeah I’m going to move away from Synology surveillance station - blue Iris was on my to do list . 

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Is there much lag ? From someone pushing the button and you getting a notification? . Can you have 2 way chat ok or is that unusable ?

Generally yes we can. Occasionally, by the time we get the phone notification of someone at the door, they’re walking away. 

13 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Generally yes we can. Occasionally, by the time we get the phone notification of someone at the door, they’re walking away. 

Do you mean when you are not at home ? . I guess I’m asking when you are at the actual property are notifications etc . Faster ? - or does it make no difference as all cloud based ? 

@pocster  at home the ‘chime’ that is plugged in always goes off a second or so before the phone and the chime is normally a second or so behind the event.

When away, phone notifications are normally reliable but probably a good couple of seconds behind the drag curve as far as notification goes but conversations are not a problem. It’s not a 100% hit rate on motion detection, but I think it is on bell presses but of course I could be missing loads and be none the wiser. 

• Thanks 1

We have a Ring doorbell (original version, on subscription) and a Eufy doorbell (no subscription, local storage). Both can be accessed from anywhere via an app. Both are a bit laggy (the Ring varies a fair amount, the Eufy slightly less so). Both are battery powered, but can be wired to a doorbell transformer. Downside of the Eufy is the risk attached to having only local storage which needs to be within radio distance of the outdoor unit. On balance I personally prefer the Eufy for less lag and no monthly fees.

39 minutes ago, MrSniff said:

Downside of the Eufy is the risk attached to having only local storage which needs to be within radio distance of the outdoor unit.

What do you mean by this ?

I know you stick and SD card in it . I’m hoping it’s just seen as an ip camera so I can access RTSP or http feeds 

The Eufy doorbell we have needs the base unit which contains the storage and links to the doorbell (and any other cameras) by its own wifi link. If anyone breaks in and finds and nicks the base unit, then that's the reason for having the camera gone as well - no such risk with cloud storage like Ring. The lack of cloud storage doesn't stop you being able to access the stored video from anywhere using the app - not sure about http. Apparently you can download the video clips, but not tried this yet.

As an aside, I also had until recently a unifi camera, but the end of lifed the NVR software I was running on a Linux computer. Instead they are now only selling the software with their own recorder hardware.

This is PoE and incorporates access-control via NFC:  https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-door-access/products/unifi-access-reader-pro

Thing with Ubiquiti is that you'll likely need one of there other products to:
- Use this to open a door.

- To integrate the camera in any kind of NVR.

Also, looks like the intercom functionaltiy isn't available just yet.

Ubiquiti has an apple-like appeal to it, but still debtabing if to actually use it for swtich/AP's/cameras in our build or not.    If we do go Ubiquiti though, this PoE access read could be interesting, so keen to know if anyone else has, or is planning to, use it as a doorbell camera.

1 hour ago, MrSniff said:

The Eufy doorbell we have needs the base unit which contains the storage and links to the doorbell (and any other cameras) by its own wifi link. If anyone breaks in and finds and nicks the base unit, then that's the reason for having the camera gone as well - no such risk with cloud storage like Ring. The lack of cloud storage doesn't stop you being able to access the stored video from anywhere using the app - not sure about http. Apparently you can download the video clips, but not tried this yet.

As an aside, I also had until recently a unifi camera, but the end of lifed the NVR software I was running on a Linux computer. Instead they are now only selling the software with their own recorder hardware.

I see so it’s a Wi-Fi link to its storage box . Hmmmm - that’s a bit pants