Exceeding 6 metres

anything bigger than 6m will result in a retrospective planning application - although any enforcement action is unlikely unless you have a neighbour complaining, also might raise an issue when you try to sell, solicitors don't seem to understand permitted development at the best of times!

24 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

anything bigger than 6m will result in a retrospective planning application - although any enforcement action is unlikely unless you have a neighbour complaining, also might raise an issue when you try to sell, solicitors don't seem to understand permitted development at the best of times!

So true with the solicitor 

They like to have that bit of paper 

1 minute ago, nod said:

So true with the solicitor 

They like to have that bit of paper 

On selling can’t you take out some indemnity insurance ( I.e BS ) to mitigate / assure the buyer it’s ok . Pretty sure I’ve had to do this in selling a property many years ago ( think the loft room wasn’t ‘official’ ) .

Just now, pocster said:

On selling can’t you take out some indemnity insurance ( I.e BS ) to mitigate / assure the buyer it’s ok . Pretty sure I’ve had to do this in selling a property many years ago ( think the loft room wasn’t ‘official’ ) .

You can, but you need to argue with your solicitor and the buying solicitor that it's the way to do it and not the retrospective/certificate of lawfulness route.

I once send a 5 page explanation to solicitors of why a project met permitted development rules, quoted all the specific clauses etc - they said it wasn't acceptable because I had been paid to design it! The report was 100% factually correct and couldn't be disagreed with but it still wasn't acceptable to solicitors who didn't know the difference between building regs and planning...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

You can, but you need to argue with your solicitor and the buying solicitor that it's the way to do it and not the retrospective/certificate of lawfulness route.

I once send a 5 page explanation to solicitors of why a project met permitted development rules, quoted all the specific clauses etc - they said it wasn't acceptable because I had been paid to design it! The report was 100% factually correct and couldn't be disagreed with but it still wasn't acceptable to solicitors who didn't know the difference between building regs and planning...

Guess I was lucky as a buyer ( understanding the difference ) and also as a seller I.e the buyer understood.