Major Issues Octopus App

I've had a follow up email with clarification on the issue. What I'm annoyed about is I had various email conversations with them before moving over and included pictures of my meter asking if it was suitable followed up by at least 3 telephone conversations. 

I've just looked at your account and you have an Elster SMETS1 meter - there's a known issue we're working on w with these meters specifically when on our smart tariffs which causes apparent double-counting.

The meter itself is ok but the issue is how the data reaches us via the DCC (government central system). We're working on that but to help I'm forwarding this to a colleague who's dealing with this issue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Saga is still ongoing.... We have a new smart meter being installed on Friday which will hopefully be the most up to date meter.

Octopus have been very difficult to contact and I've been in direct contact with the CEO, or at least someone senior than the customer service advisors that sign their emails 'love and power' ?

The have confirmed 'there are many customer accounts which have been affected by this' - as in the double billing issue - which would have been useful to know before I moved to them and relied on the app. As yet they cannot generate an actual bill based on my use but hopefully with the installation of a new meter this problem should be sorted.

I've asked for significant compensation based on the stress this has caused to the point of obsessively measuring the electricity use and the fact that it took multiple phonecalls and emails to get someone who actually knew there was a problem despite it clearly affecting lots of customers and being dismissed multiple times.

The initial compensation amount was £50 which I said was insulting so they asked me how much I wanted and I'm waiting to see if they will agree with my figure.

I've had notification from Octopus with the 8 week letter that from 4th June 2021 I have the right to refer my complaint to the Ombudsman Services so let's see what happens. If I don't get agreement that's where I'll be sending a letter to. I presume they won't want it to go to the Ombudsman but we will see.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can now report that a resolution has been sorted and implemented. We now have a working app and smart meter that is working alongside the app.

Octopus have finally been able to generate a bill based on our use from the end of Feb til the 16 June. Our use seems a bit excessive as we were hammering the heating earlier in the year and we didn't have insulation.

Total units 2328.9 (split between 661.6 @ 5.5p (between hours of (20:30-01:30) and 1667.2 @ 0.146 during other hours.

This usage with the standing charge gave us a bill of £306.50 and of course we had credit as we have been paying our £110 a month DD and had the referral credit too of £50 from here.

We also have managed to get £250 bill credit due to the compensation for the stress and inconvenience so have a few months payment holiday now due to the credit on our account so we m. This took an almighty amount of time and energy (not the electric kind ?), daily emails before finally heading to Twitter and bombarding the CEO which seemed to get a reaction.

I can also say with the warmer weather and nearly all the house insulated and some base coat on the heating has been off and the solar is doing all our hot water and for a number of weeks our use has been between 2 and 5 units a day maximum which is likely with things on outside of solar usage. We will have to see what the imapact of our insulation and things like blinds has on our heating use over winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Resurecting this old thread.

Are all your problems with Octopus Go sorted now?

You mention an APP?  I am considering Octopus GO but I am a dinosaur  I DON'T want an app.  I am happy to manage my account on a web browser on a proper computer.  Is having an app on your phone to interface with it compulsory ow will old stuck in the mud people like me still be able to use the web interface?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Resurecting this old thread.

Are all your problems with Octopus Go sorted now?

You mention an APP?  I am considering Octopus GO but I am a dinosaur  I DON'T want an app.  I am happy to manage my account on a web browser on a proper computer.  Is having an app on your phone to interface with it compulsory ow will old stuck in the mud people like me still be able to use the web interface?

All doable via web interface. I'm on the Go tariff and don't use the app.

• Like 1

I previously worked for an energy supplier on the initial rollout of smart meters (IT, yes its all my fault! ?). At the time having solar PV found out about the issues with SMETS1 and refused installs based on this. The SMETS1 meter had communication issues and the protocols used differed between suppliers plus unreliable export readings. This is why when changing supplier it wasn't as advertised as an easy swap! There should not be any suppliers installing SMETS1. If you are unlucky enough to have SMETS1 already you can request your supplier to upgrade to SMETS2 for free but the deadline for that is 31 Dec 2021. I'd imagine post that date there would be a cost to pay. 

Checking their website Octopus state the app is currently available for Apple devices. Android coming soon!

37 minutes ago, Far2wired said:

If you are unlucky enough to have SMETS1 already you can request your supplier to upgrade to SMETS2 for free but the deadline for that is 31 Dec 2021.

Oh this is interesting. Looks like OVO are playing ball on this, but octopus are not making it so simple

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/national-update-of-smets1-meters

Vs

https://octopus.energy/help-and-faqs/categories/meters/smart-meter-can-i-have/

Does anyone have a link to the policy behind this?

42 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I take it it is safe to assume nobody is installing SMETS1 meters any more?

It shouldn't be legal to install them after March 2019, ...

https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meter-rollout/

I'm hesitant to make any claim beyond that though. COVID threw a lot of the installation timeline and rulebook out the window, and it was already a mess before that

Edited by joth

So yes we are sorted now. You don't need the app at all but now it works it is helpful for me to see our half hour energy use. Of course our use is currently minimal but when our heating comes on again and the ASHP is heating our water rather than the solar it will be helpful to see our consumption.

As their rate outside of the cheap Octopus Go Faster was cheaper than any other supplier anyway it was a no brainer for me. 

52 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Thanks @canalsiderenovation  Have you tried using Octopus's on line portal?  If so how does that work with Go?  Is it much the same as with a standard tariff?

It is pretty much exactly the same information as it is in the app just presented in a slightly different way. You can still see monthly or daily use and tarrif etc.

Screenshot_2021-08-11-12-53-55-949_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.13193f6c7d6605f9d4985bd6439baf7c.jpg

118843103_Screenshot_2021-08-11-12-55-25-696_com.android.chrome2.thumb.jpg.97e6d34d127252f46b9030883624e10e.jpg

• Like 1

@ProDave I’m on Octopus Agile Outgoing and use the on line portal, I have the app as well but prefer to use the portal.

I have a SMETS2 meter but there have been problems with being paid for what I’m exporting, it gets fixed every now and again but the last time I spoke to them they said they should have a proper fix some time this month.

I’m thinking of switching to their ‘Go’ tariff over the winter when there is likely to be even less sun than there is now so that I can charge the Sunamp and run the Willis heater when required on the cheaper overnight tariff.