Advice for leaking flat roof please

Oldhousehelp

Hi All, 

I have a problem with my kitchen flat roof which is leaking in a few places when there is heavy rain. 

The roof is felt, which is cracked along the outside edge and therefore letting in water. Some of the boards under the felt are damp and could be replaced. 

I am happy for a temporary fix as I will be putting the house on the market in the next few months. I have contacted two tradesmen looking for a repair job. 

One said he would torch on a length of felt down the front run of the roof where all the existing felt is perished,

Also tidy up the upstand on the far side.

Once felt is down, run a roof sealer over the edge for extra measures.

The second said the damage is too great to repair and he would replace the whole roof with a 2 layer system of good felt and replace any damaged boards. 

I have attached some photos. I’m told there is a small hole close to the main back wall of the house, which is letting in water. I haven’t got a photo of this currently. 

Any advice regarding if the repair job quoted by the first tradesman would be enough to solve the problem temporarily. Or if that’s a waste of time/money and a new felt roof is required? 

Thank you!

165E4ECC-19EB-47EC-B4AD-9B17EB8825BE.jpeg

17BF54C5-61D7-45D5-B6C7-8DE8776B6AF9.jpeg

7BF50D08-0F20-417C-957B-33D37D21BC5C.jpeg

07C661AE-271E-4C21-8F85-799B69B821D6.jpeg

I’m with number 2

they are looking to address the problem of the rotting/damaged boards and then carry out a repair.

trade 1 is effectively sticking a plaster over  a cut!

Edited by TonyT

1 hour ago, Oldhousehelp said:

I am happy for a temporary fix as I will be putting the house on the market in the next few months. 

If you do a temporary fix I hope you have the integrity to inform potential purchasers of the hidden problem?

I would expect a surveyor to pick this up when you sell.

You could.....trowel on roof mastic to the splits/cracks then go over the lot with an acrylic repair compound. 

It'll only last for a bit. Ask me how I know! ?

Please, whatever you decide, do your Due Diligence on the contractors. We are just interested - helpful, hopefully - amateurs.

13 hours ago, Oldhousehelp said:

I am happy for a temporary fix as I will be putting the house on the market in the next few months. I have contacted two tradesmen looking for a repair job. 

I hate to quote corporate slogans : do it right (Wickes). A temporary fix just puts you in a bind when the seller points the temporary fix out,  and gets quotes to do the job properly, and makes an offer that reflects the cost. Meanwhile you have lost the house that you wanted to buy.... and you are crying into your pint of foaming liquid.