Proposed garage (car maintenance) in the field opposite my house

newhome

I'm looking for some advice on opposing a proposed commercial development in the field opposite my house. The business in question is currently within the village and operates out of a building there. There are always a ton of cars parked all the way down the road on the grass verge that are from the garage. Either vehicles owned by them (they do roadside recovery work as well as car maintenance), or vehicles that they are working on for others. They claim that moving the garage to a different location would be advantegous to the village as they will still have access to the garage whilst removing the nuisance and vehicles. 

The site that they want to move it to is in a field opposite my house. The field is zoned agricultural and outside the settlement boundary. They claim that the field is overgrown and not useful for agriculture and there are no other suitable sites within the settlement boundary. It has become overgrown since they stopped mowing the field but it's true that it has never been used since I moved here more than 10 years ago. The ground adjacent to the far end of the field (similar in nature) has just been taken over by the village allotment society so clearly this type of ground can be made useful for growing crops. 

The proposal is for a building and 32 car parking spaces along with a designated area for van and truck parking. So a bit more than a small garage operation! The supporting statement says that the community council has indicated that it is supportive of the proposal. Unsurprising really given that they create a mess of cars everywhere in the village currently .... 

The supporting statement also notes that further to a pre-application assessment the placement of the building has been moved slightly to screen the site from the cemetery. The small village cemetery is next to the allotments. I can't really see the cemetery or allotments from my house currently but a large commercial building with extensive parking is a different matter entirely. It notes that they are not looking to site the garage directly in front of the 4 houses here so as not to interrupt the sea views we have here currently. Does the pre--application assessment indicate that the LA are likely to approve this development?  

The neighbour notification list surprisingly doesn't include my house, but it notes that my next door neighbours who are nearer the development by a few metres have been notified (they haven't). My neighbours saw it noted earlier today on the community council's Facebook page.  

Any advice on how to object to this is appreciated. Thanks! 

Perhaps..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Stop-Influence-Planning-Permission/dp/0953348903

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Object-planning-application-appeal/dp/1912384108

Although you may know most of it.

You also need to check the closing date for comments/objections. If time is short you could start by raising an objection that neighbours have not been notified as required and demand they restart the statutory consultation period.

If other houses are affected I recommend you help them with their objection letters as these need to contain valid planning reasons for rejection. Most people prattle on about things that carry no weight such as loss of a view or devaluation of property.

Mention things like..

Out of keeping/not in an industrial area/outside village boundary but near houses.

Noisy industry inappropriate near a cemetry. Any noise complaints from their current place?

Access near dangerous bends in the road? Speed limit?

• Like 2

Definitely object.  Base you objection on it being agricultural and outside the development boundary.  My bet is the "prize" he is after will then be to redevelop the old garage site for housing.

I once lived in a similar situation, there was a small paddock across the road from us and there was a proposal for a filling station.  All the neighbours objected, planning was refused and it was refused on appeal.  Last time I passed by, it contained a small orchard.

21 minutes ago, Temp said:

You also need to check the closing date for comments/objections. If time is short you could start by raising an objection that neighbours have not been notified as required and demand they restart the statutory consultation period.

My neighbour has asked the Community Council why they haven't been notified and why I'm not on the list. The CC has replied and only neighbours adjacent and within 20m need to be notified but they will be posting details through the doors of the 4 houses here tomorrow. 

23 minutes ago, Temp said:

Out of keeping/not in an industrial area/outside village boundary but near houses.

Noisy industry inappropriate near a cemetry. Any noise complaints from their current place?

Access near dangerous bends in the road? Speed limit?

There are numerous complaints from the village about the current business. It's why they want it gone. They have said that noise shouldn't be a concern as there is already road noise here. 

The access is not really an issue - it's down a small road (dead end) that leads to the cemetery. They will create a new access in the old stone wall somewhere down that road. 

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You could always make an offer to buy the site.

Numerous people have asked to buy the site. Always rejected. 

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My bet is the "prize" he is after will then be to redevelop the old garage site for housing.

He applied for PP previously to develop the existing site for housing (a few years back). It was granted for 2 houses. 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Numerous people have asked to buy the site. Always rejected. 

He applied for PP previously to develop the existing site for housing (a few years back). It was granted for 2 houses. 

Yep, and he can't do that until he gets planning to relocate the business.

8 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

Why not get the neighbours together and employ one to assist in rejecting it.

Yes I may look at that. Assuming all 4 neighbours do object - the 2 houses further down the road from me (single storey listed cottages) won't really be able to see it. The ones the other side nearer the proposed site are not happy.

Makes me laugh as we weren't allowed to change the windows to larger more modern looking ones because the house 'would lose the cottagy feel' said planning and now here we are intending to construct a large commercial building! 

I feel for you with this, we’ve just discovered (although we had heard through the grapevine) that a local block making firm are expanding their operation closer to us and have applied for new factories etc, however they have already gained permission to work from them 24 hours a day without anyone being consulted. Currently they are 2 fields away from us and only working through the day and we hear the machinery but after expansion they will be a field closer and 24 hours seems wrong to me. It appears they’ve already had noise testing done and it’s been passed but I can’t understand why we haven’t been informed about this!

28 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Controversial I know @newhome but does anyone in the village own a car or ever need it maintained?

Yes of course but there are local garages in industrial units in the local towns. This is a guy who wants parking for 32 vehicles and additional parking for trucks and vans in a village of 400 people, and many people who live here are elderly without a car. He has cars parked all over the verges, roads and pavements currently, and wants to expand. We don’t even have a shop currently! I’m sure that would be more useful to villagers than a large garage. There is already a mobile mechanic who covers this area. Expansion of a business of this type belongs in a designated commercial area, not in an agricultural field IMO. 

Most villagers who have commented have said that they support the proposal as they can’t wait to see the back of the collection of cars and the mess, not because they really need a garage in the village. A couple of people have questioned why we need a business of this type in the village. 

Here are some of the comments. 

I hope the garage succeeds this time as maybe then all the cars will be removed. 

If that gets all the old wrecks he insists on parking along the old A1 off the public road, it's no bad thing.

I'm interested to know why the CC are so keen to support and keep the garage in the area? in its current position it really doesn't help promote us as a village people would want to venture into due to the ridiculous amount of cars on either side of the road, the muddy state the grass gets churned into and the fact that if you have a pram, small children, are walking a dog, elderly, use a walking stick or wheel chair you've got no chance of being able to use the pavements and end up having to go onto the road, so the idea that it will be moving is music to my, and I'm sure many other people's ears. But the proposed new site will just be an eyesore, again not really encouraging people to come into the village as that field is already starting to look like a junk/scrap yard!  Why can't it be relocated more inland? 

16 minutes ago, newhome said:

there are local garages in industrial units in the local towns.

a much better location fir such a venture IMO, We are currently fighting a massive solar PV site on good agricultural land next to us.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

what's the actual basis for your objection?

I read it as not wanting a scruffy scumbag garage operation to litter the nearby agricultural field with scrap motors.  I am not sure how that reads in planning terms.  Impact on character?

3 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

but putting small industry away from where people are living seems better than having it in amongst where people live?

yes, in an industrial estate, not agricultural land ?‍♂️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

There's lots of things I don't want to be happening near me, but putting small industry away from where people are living seems better than having it in amongst where people live?

It’s not being put away from where people are living though is it, it’s being put opposite a number of dwellings. The guy has already dumped old wrecks in the field. The field is for agricultural use, not for the purpose he wants to use it for. The community council objected to the houses being built here because the road was apparently too busy and dangerous yet they now support additional traffic on the road because it means the garage being moved further away from where they live. They have admitted that it just moves the problem. 

If every agricultural field was allowed to be developed as an industrial site because the owners felt like it where would it end? There are plenty of more appropriate sites well away from all houses and where there are already commercial operations. 

You still haven't actually come up with a reason for objecting? Is it a road safety concern you have? Is it the loss of agricultural land? 

If you want to object to a planning application you need to find something to base your objection on - all I can tell is that you don't want it to happen but so far you've given any convincing reasoning for your objections.

There's usually a few opportunities in local development plans for small industry to be accommodated around settlements, it being "agricultural land" can sometimes make it a bit easier to fit with policy too.

15 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Why is agricultural land so precious? The farmer could put up a big shed to service their vehicles with no permissions at all!

If it’s used by a farmer, as you said, it will leave other agricultural land fir growing/grazing/husbandry, that’s why it’s called agricultural ! We already import too much food IMO.

Edited by joe90

11 hours ago, joe90 said:

We are currently fighting a massive solar PV site on good agricultural land next to us

Is it really good agricultural land, most of Cornwall is grade 3b and below.

51 minutes ago, joe90 said:

We already import too much food IMO

That is by value, not calorific content or staples.

I wish they would open up more areas for commercial usage, worth taking a look at the economic activity of an area.

Mine is not all pasties and surfboards, most is services, with tourism accounting for about 12%.

Any new business would have to comply with modern environmental legislation.

I feel there is a bit of NIMBYism going on here.  Half the time people are complain they cannot get planning consent, then want to stop anything else.

Look at an aerial map of the UK and tell me what the predominant colour is, we have urbanised less that 10% of the land area, with housing being around 2%.

The UK produces more area of cars every year that all building works.

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is it really good agricultural land, most of Cornwall is grade 3b and below.

Ha, we are in Devon ?40% of the 147 acres they propose is 3a, that’s on top of the 4 other solar farms in our small village area, we already have.

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

40% of the 147 acres they propose is 3a

Pretty ropey land then.

Farmers would not build a solar farm on productive land, it is just not financially viable.

We are heading into 2nd agricultural revolution (or a third one depending on if you count the improvements in crops as separate from mechanisation).

We easily grow 50% more crops per unit land area than we did 50 years ago, this will probably double in the net 25 to 30 years with better practices and monitoring, as well as GM crops.

image.png.18f9e52ff5f973abede1c92d216a6a5d.png

Source: BRIEFING PAPER
Number 3339, 25 June 2019
Agriculture: historical
statistics