Temporary internal whole house lighting.

epsilonGreedy

Now that I have fitted all of my window blanks to deter nesting birds the house is very dark.

I have some mobile mains powered LED worklights that can be used to introduce spot lighting to bring the illumination brightness up to a proper workshop level. The problem is I don't want extension leads trailing around all the time so I am looking for a cheap interim solution for background lighting that can be hung off ceiling joists and roof trusses for what will be a slow paced 1st & 2nd fix.

Last time I asked about lighting someone with the appropriate software calculated the number of lumens required for an 8' x 6' shed for different usages all the way from background domestic room lighting up to a workshop level. In practice I found that a 10w LED strip light was fine for the shed. Based on that experience I reckon 50w to 60w of LED lighting per floor (60 m2) will provide enough background light.

Three of the below per floor would seem to fit the requirement or maybe I could buy spots and fabricate ceiling mounts by cutting holes in some spare OSB offcuts? Anyhow I am just fishing for alternative ideas on how not to splash too much money on a temporary lighting rig for the whole house.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/twin-2ft-led-batten-white-18w-1650lm/314fx

314FX_P&$prodImageMedium$

I’ve got a full set of 110v festoons that need new bulbs in and you can have them for the postage. You can always chop the 110v plug off and wire a 230v plug on and use IKEA LED bulbs in them if you want. 

Best thing I have though for task lighting is a 1200x300mm LED panel that’s on a short cable - super bright and indestructible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2021 at 16:26, Bitpipe said:

Our sparky used a string of festoon lights (which run off a 110v transformer) per floor and slung them around the place, needed moved a few times as ceilings were boarded etc

Oops forgot about this thread, I am convinced a string of movable festoon lights are the answer, plus I save time on fitting and wiring because these can be threaded through the Posi joists. Do they need special bulbs? Is there such a thing as heavy duty LED bulbs, I ask because I remember my old mains car inspection lamp needed a filament bulb that could cope with the knocks.

6 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Oops forgot about this thread, I am convinced a string of movable festoon lights are the answer, plus I save time on fitting and wiring because these can be threaded through the Posi joists.

If you don't take @PeterW up on his offer i would be interested in them ?

To avoid the 110V problem and the need to buy bulbs I bought one of these last year and use it to light the loft. Took me ages to find a 240V version.

https://www.mad4tools.com/defender-22m-led-fully-enclosed-festoon-lighting-kit-110v-or-240v?utm_source=google_shopping&c=55856&2269=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI86vmnrqK8AIVUuN3Ch3hsQcNEAQYASABEgLmIPD_BwE#2269=?

On 19/04/2021 at 14:16, epsilonGreedy said:

Oops forgot about this thread, I am convinced a string of movable festoon lights are the answer, plus I save time on fitting and wiring because these can be threaded through the Posi joists. Do they need special bulbs? Is there such a thing as heavy duty LED bulbs, I ask because I remember my old mains car inspection lamp needed a filament bulb that could cope with the knocks.

The system we had was 110v and had a commando plug at the end for a transformer box. Bulbs were fragile and we lost a few but they were easily replaced. They only really get knocked about when you're moving them.

I believe that the reason they are 110v is for site safety.

Edited by Bitpipe