top hung windows only

Moonshine

Due to the size of our windows our preferred window supplier has let us know that they can't do windows the size we want (900mm x 900 mm and 1100mm x 1100 mm) as side hung.

The only option they can do is top hung.

This is a bit of a bugger, is it going to seem odd that pretty much every window in the house is going to be top hung?

All ours are top hung in this house.  First time I have had top hung windows and I would do the same again, I can't think of a compelling reason to want to go back to side hung.

What are your concerns?

48 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What are your concerns?

that its odd! ?

44 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Just make sure they can be opened as fire escape windows.

yep i checked in the show room and they will open wide enough to EEW

Our Rationel top hung are not simple hinges.  Someone will come and give the proper name but those geometric sliding mechanisms.  They open and stay open to the point you push them, and push them far enough and they pivot over and close "inside out" handy for cleaning upstairs windows.  And yes they open wide enough for means of escape.

Tilt and turn opening sashes can be larger than casements AFAIK. 

I wouldn’t disregard those up and over windows that @ProDave describes. Only yesterday i had to remove a mountain of kids and Mrs detritus off the window sill so i could open our living room window. (tilt and turn)

Had i an outward opening window i could simply have thrown it all out into the garden. Maybe i’ll have to fit some of those pigeon spikes ? 

20 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Our supplier was happy to go a bit over the maximum with the caveat of a reduced warranty on the hinges.  Did your supplier say what the maximum allowed *was*?

750mm on aluk, though if i went with origin the more expensive option they could do 900mm still not enough for the largest windows.

We went for what our supplier called top swing, fully reversible. The difference is that some suppliers have top hung windows with hinges at the top, others, like ours have the hinges on the side. It's worth checking this as IIRC Aluk windows can either be top hung or top swing fully reversible depending on the window model. I really like ours and prefer them to the traditional side hung. The only thing that still catches me out is the child lock!

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

That can be removed by undoing 2 screws, and ours will be very shortly after completion......

I went and checked mine out after you said this. Sadly they're pressed pins on mine so I'd have to either drill or cut them off.