Replacing thermostatic head sensor

DIY_Amateur

Hi - I'm pretty sure the thermostatic head (with capillary sensor) on my UFH manifold is knackered. 

I can get a replacement and the head will just screw onto the valve body but accessing the current sensor and having room to remove it is going to be a pain. 

Two questions:

1) The sensor is held in with a grub screw so I assume it's not actually immersed in water inside the manifold (Uponor Vario B, maybe cocooned in a sleeve?) Is that right/likely and if I was able to remove the grub screw and get the sensor out would I need to drain the manifold first?

2) If I really can't get the old sensor out can I attach the sensor directly to the flow side of the manifold with some cable ties and maybe some aluminium tape/insulation - would this work do you think?

There are surprisingly few pictures/video of this job so I appreciate any knowledge of what it involves.

Thank you

Hi Peter- that's very helpful thank you

The sensor is pressed against the wall so would need to slide 10cm or so into the wall! I'm tempted to see if I can find a way to carve a hole for it to slide into but if not it plan (2) - any thoughts on whether strapping it to the manifold would work adequately?

16 hours ago, PeterW said:

You’d need to work out how to get the new one in too ..! I do sometimes wonder what installers are thinking when they install these ..!!

Had the same problem with a HW tank and immersion heater,  I had to cut a hole in a wall to get the old immersion heater out and a new one in.  People just don't think.