New glazing, leave the pins in post putty?

epsilonGreedy

I have followed @PeterW's advice and primed the glazing recess in the wooden window frame.

Today the wind has died down which gives me an opportunity to fit a single pane of glass that is 1.1m tall x about 500mm wide. The instructions on the tub of putty recommend a few glazing pins to hold the glass in place once the rebate has been lined with putty and the glass pushed in. Once the pins are in I will then apply the main external bead of putty.

After the main bead of putty has been applied should I remove the pins before trimming the putty?

I have a pack of 25mm x 1.6mm sheradised panel pins for the job.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

After the main bead of putty has been applied should I remove the pins before trimming the putty?

What's putty? Never heard of it.

Krickey! I've not had a good sniff of putty for many a long year.  Nor linseed. Come to think of it, that might explain a few things ?

27 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

What's putty? Never heard of it.

Krickey! I've not had a good sniff of putty for many a long year.  Nor linseed.

Might be a good thing, it can be poisonous.

The best glazing videos on YouTube tend to originate in North America, I blame Ted Moult and his Everest Double Glazing TV adverts for the decline of traditional glazing in the UK.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

No just make sure the pins are below the level of the putty. 

Ok will do. The glazing tutorial videos I found online were for casement and sash windows detached and placed on a workshop table prior to glazing hence no need for retaining pins.

Now I need to go shopping for a small hammer or... try to use a nail punch.