Dropping SSE cable into the ground

Hi All,

long time lurker and learner. I'd like to pose yet another 'dropping an electricity supply into the ground' question - I've been through the threads and theres a lot of info but I'm a little stumped about my next move.

Apologies in advance for this rather long post.

We're in the planning stage of our self build having gained the necessary planning authority permissions and one of the issues is, we have a small equestrian property (around 3.5 acres of paddocks with stables and our annex) that will need a line dropped into the ground

We divided up the property and sold off the semi detached house to fund our build so the retained land has an annex with a single SSE (LV) power supply which we would like to retain, however the line is strung directly across the building plot so will need it to be moved. The other issue is it's strung between 2 poles on our property and through our mature trees which again is not ideal as it is difficult to find reasonably priced three cutting services to maintain trees that are requiring work (SSE came out and cut back a few branches off a mature tree that has split through the centre so we have had to find a company that would work near power lines to get the tree removed even though it could be considered dangerous to the line and 1 of the poles if it was to come down).

So fast forward to now, I've contacted SSE to discuss the possibility of dropping the cable into the ground but the neigh on useless fool I've been assigned has sent a quote through of £10k for the work with me doing all the trench digging. He has the audacity to start every communication with "not to worry!!" which annoys the hell out of me!

He refuses to send a surveyor out at my multiple requests to discuss what I need done (his plan is not correct and I have mentioned this three times to which I get"not to worry! its only indicative, let me know if you want to accept the quote". Now why would I accept an indicative quote that could go up if when they get onsite requires additional work (the quote says its for the cable and supply switch off and connection costs). So I have asked multiple times for SSE to send a surveyor out, I've asked to see the way leave cert for the property which he will not do, how do I move forward?

Another consideration is - I read on one of the threads that you can't build / dig footings within 6 metre's of a line in the ground, this is not possible on our site as we will need to run the line up the drive to the annex to the side of the proposed build and will probably be sited within around 1 metre so the question is, is this doable then?

There a re a thousand other questions but I'll limit this post to save you all from 'war and piece' ?

Cheers

Deacs

You really need to ask SSE, they are the ones that make the rules.  Just pester until you get a proper on site survey and then an accurate breakdown of the exact work needed.

I found the cheapest way was to bury a duct in the ground all the way from where Iu wanted the meter box to where the cable had to be joined.  ALL they had to do was come along, pull a cable through the duct with the draw string left for that purpose and connect it up.

I'd second the advice above re the duct.

My experience was that they only sent a surveyor after the initial budget/indicative quote and I asked for a more detailed quote. 

You can't assume they will do what you want, they may have their own policies/procedures.

If it's a wayleave then wouldn't you have a copy? SSE have form with regards to 'losing' wayleave agreements and as they aren't registered on the deeds (only an easement is I think) then you really need to find your own copy from either when you bought the place or when you agreed the wayleave

If they have a wayleave they have to produce it , how long have you owned the property? If the wayleave was in place before you bought it, it will now be void unless it’s a necessary wayleave as wayleaves don’t continue on to the next owner.If the wayleave was granted by yourself you’ll have been receiving paltry payments every year.

we have had a similar situation with a plot we have been marketing, asked them to produce the wayleave, they don’t have one ( which I already suspected) 

served them notice to remove the overhead cables, this started getting them engaged, they have come up with a plan to underground the cables, I have now handed over the negotiations to the person wishing to purchase the land and he has had them on site with a surveyor to plan the route and they have agreed to do this in 12 weeks time, so far there has been no mention of any payment to do the work and it looks like there won’t be any charge.

As for the trees, if their cables are going through them they should be doing the work, where we are a firm comes out every year to check all the trees and do any work needed, last time they were here they wanted to trim back one of the trees on our land and I asked them to take it down altogether which they did, no charge.

As part of the quote they’ll have supplied a site plan.  Can you attach it to your post.  So I can compare it against mine.  I had my supply carried between two poles, and replaced it with a trenched underground supply.  SSE prices were very reasonable TBH.  It was nowhere near £10k.  But would need to see exactly what the work involves to make that comparison.

32 minutes ago, Deacs said:

Hi All,

many thanks for the replies. Thanks @recoveringbuilder I'm thinking asking them to come and remove their equipment might be an option and then run an off grid system to the annex. @Bozza I'll dig the plan out and post it for you, thanks again.

Hopefully they will come up with a plan to suit you without you losing out on a connection, they don’t really want to remove so will go all out to accommodate you once they realise you are serious.

• 3 months later...
On 14/04/2021 at 11:11, ProDave said:

the cheapest way was to bury a duct in the ground all the way from where Iu wanted the meter box to where the cable had to be joined.  ALL they had to do was come along, pull a cable through the duct with the draw string left for that purpose and connect it up.

Sounds promising.

Two phase supply connection coming up. SSE said they will provide 25m of cable (presumably armoured cable).

What ducting is suitable? (diameter, twinwall or single, colour?)

What size of external free standing meter box would do the job? Would this size of meter box work:

Width:  530 mm

Height: 800 mm

Depth: 245 mm

PS  Intention is to have consumer unit in the box for builder supply, then later introduce own fuse and run cabling to new dwelling (about 15 m distance from meter box).

8 minutes ago, WWilts said:

What ducting is suitable? (diameter, twinwall or single, colour?)

SSE will spec it in the connection agreement, usually ENATS (spelling might not be right) approved.  For a single phase I had a roll of single wall black 63mm.

• Like 1

A few thoughts from experience.

Make sure you use the dia, make and colour of duct they specify or they will refuse to use it. It is something to do with heat generation.

The specified duct is more expensive than others, and than you will like.

Also use only straight lines or the cable may snag. Don't forget a draw cord. there will be a mx length between drawpits.

Often they quote a high price to cover risk of obstruction, and will rebate if it goes smoothly.

Don't fall out with them. You have nowhere else to ask.

And a word about the original post. Best not be rude, however justified, on here.  Google picks this all up. I did a search recently and my own earlier Buildhub post came up on page 1.

Therefore I ty to avoid quoting manufacturers or businesses names, or referring to recognisable persons  if it is a negative matter.

• Like 1