Tv points

Taff

Ello,

im looking into purchasing tv points on the wall I’ve put the coax in so need to install the plates on the wall. Am I right in thinking it’s female ports on the wall plate? Following on from that they all meet in the loft there are 6 cables in a heap I need to connect them to a device to then forward to the Ariel. Stupid question what device do I need to connect them all up. Is it just an amplifier with appropriate number of ports that I need? 

ta

What you need depends on your location and the location of the transmitter, strength of transmitter etc

i can see the transmitter in the hills, so no need for a amplified unit, just a means of splitting the signal.

The best approach is to fit the  correct size, type and possibly band of aerial outside and as high as possible. Connect that to a "TV Distribution Amplifier" with just enough gain to distribute the signal to the TV outlets. Most will will need a mains socket.

If you are in a weak signal area then a bigger and higher aerial should be tried first.

Adding a signal booster amplifier should be the last resort if you already have a massive aerial and still don't get a strong signal. The best type of amplifier is a mast head amplifier. Hint, it goes at the head of the mast right next to the aerial and is powered up the coaxial cable.

All of our TV points have a male F type connector for which you apply a small adaptor to get the coax connection. We also have an ethernet port adjacent to every TV point as that seems to be almost as ubiquitous.

I doubt our kids ever watch anything that's broadcast live over the air!