Stuff on top of a house?

puntloos

So, we have planning permission for a house of height "x" (8.5ish m). 
Does this necessarily include all the "stuff" on top of a house?

What about a chimney? Antenna? 

And on my mind currently:

Photovoltaic panels? 

Are all of those things kinda ignored as long as they aren't insanely huge?

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It will be a "ridge height" limit.  PV should not exceed the ridge height.  Include a chimney with a TV aerial on with your plans and that is sorted as well.

For PV I guess it makes sense, if it were to stick out that would 'effectively' increase that height. For e.g. a thin antenna I'd be surprised if people would make a stink. (not that I plan an antenna.)

9 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Wasn’t PV to be 200mm below ridge height?  So my memory recalls 

I thought it was no more than 200mm from the roof surface to qualify as Permitted Development. On a 45° roof that means no more than 140mm above ridge height if it goes right up to the ridge line. In practice you're going to have to work very hard to get it noticeably above ridge height and still waterproof.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pdf27 said:

I thought it was no more than 200mm from the roof surface to qualify as Permitted Development. On a 45° roof that means no more than 140mm above ridge height if it goes right up to the ridge line. In practice you're going to have to work very hard to get it noticeably above ridge height and still waterproof.

Interesting detail.

Since I probably will have them recessed somewhat into the roof I'll have to see how that works. 

52 minutes ago, pdf27 said:

I thought it was no more than 200mm from the roof surface to qualify as Permitted Development.

Depends if the new build has certain withdrawal of PD rights. The guidance states...

”Although solar photovoltaics and solar thermal equipment (i.e. solar panels) are not permitted development under Class C, they may not require an application for planning permission if they meet the requirements set out under Part 14 of the rules on permitted development in Schedule 2 to the Order.”

• Like 1